New to Moodle, help modeling course

New to Moodle, help modeling course

by John Rinck -
Number of replies: 4

I am new to moodle. The course I am trying to model in Moodle consists of course material organized by sections and chapters. At the end of each chapter there is a quiz. I want to make sure each chapter is read before the quiz is available. I also want to make sure section one is completed before section 2 and so forth. I would also like next/previous buttons so the student can easily navigate between chapters.

• Section 1
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3
    • Quiz
  • Section 2
    • Chapter 4
    • Chpater 5
    • Chpater 6
    • Quiz

I am not sure how to model this in moodle. I initially thought topics to represent the sections and resources for each chapter. I can add a quiz at the end of each topic. However I don't see anyway to have next/previous buttons in the resources plus I don't see anyway to disable the quiz until each resource is read (visited). Of course this extends to "disabling" topic two until the quiz in topic one is completed.

I looked at lessons to sue for the chapters since they have the branch tables for navigation. But I don't have any questions in/after each chapter. So lessons did not seem like a good fit.

I also have not seen how to disable something (lesson, resource, quiz etc) until after an event like reading a resource.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Rinck

Re: New to Moodle, help modeling course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there! The lesson is a good way forward and what you can do to achieve your aim is when the student has done the quiz then in the final quiz feedback you can give them a password which is the password to open up the next lesson ...and so on and so on... When you set up a lesson you will see that there is an option to make it password protected -therefore a student can only access it when he has the password and if you only give them the password at the end of the previous activity, this should do what you want.
In fact...next year with the new version of Moodle, Moodle 2.0 - the precise feature you want (called Conditional Activities) will be a basic feature! You can add this feature to the current version of Moodle, but it might be easier for you if you are starting out simply to password protece each lesson (=chapter/quiz)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Rinck -

Thanks for the reply!

Lessons have questions at the end right? For this course we do not have any questions at the end of a chapter. I just want to simply move on to the next chapter. Can a lesson be set up to not have an ending question? Or should I just have a simple questions like "Are you ready for the next chapter?"

I thought resources would be the way to go since I have the course material in word/PDF format. Using resources I could create a set of links to the PDF files or cut and past into a text page. With a lesson do I have that flexibility?

I am a developer so I would be interested in seeing if I could integrate the Conditional Activities feature into the Moodle version I have (1.9.5). Where would I find that code?

In reply to John Rinck

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Conditional activities is known as "activity locking" as a plugin for earlier versions - you can find it in downloads (drop down menu above) and then modules and plugins. But it was made for earlier versions - however - I am sure I have been reading about people using a version for 1.9.5 so it will be worth your while doing a search on this site for activity locking for 1.9.5 smile
You don't have to have any questions in your lessons - you can make them all branch tables without questions by the way. And/Or you can make a random question as you have, in order to move them on. As personal preference I would tend to add my resources directly as web pages (even if it is simply pasting from another document) rather than uploading and linking to other files. Again, that is perfectly possible in a lesson. You would get a page and either type or paste the words - that way they are much more easily accessible than merely making a link to a pdf that then needs to be opened.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Rinck -
Thanks for the answers Mary. I have plenty to work on now. I may have a few more questions but your advice has been great. Thanks again.