Two big advantages of Quizport?

Two big advantages of Quizport?

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 4
Hi again Gordon,

It has just struck me that Quizport offers me two huge advantages for setting up my courses. Before I plunge ahead and tailor the courses this way, could I just confirm with you that my thinking is right?

1) As long as there are pre and post conditions set, the students only have access to the first quiz in the chain? Can they "get to" the rest of the exercises in some way I am not realizing? If not, this would be great as I don't want my students to see/access too many quizzes at a time so, using the Hotpot Module, I have to make shorter courses which is much more cumbersome in terms of collecting grades, filing, etc.

2) The "next exercise" button in Hot Potatoes is more or less made redundant by Quizport? If my quizzes have numerically sequential names will Quizport recognise their order, or does it still need the next exercise name in each quiz? Even if it does need this, am I right in understanding that with Quizport I can change the order of my quizzes within the course, via the Edit Quizzes page, without having to bother with changing the next exercise button? This would certainly take the hassle out of changing the order of quizzes.

Thanks so much.

Deborah
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Two big advantages of Quizport?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
sounds like you making great strides with QuizPort!

1. > As long as there are pre and post conditions set,
    > the students only have access to the first quiz in the chain?

Yes, that's right.

> Can they "get to" the rest of the exercises in some way I am not realizing?

No, they can't get to quiz unless the pre- post-conditions allow them to. Even if they are clever and work out what the url is of a quiz they are not supposed to access, QuizPort will simply show them to the next quiz in their study path.

2. > The "next exercise" button in Hot Potatoes
    > is more or less made redundant by Quizport?

Yes. One feature of the "Next exercise" button was that students could move on before actually finishing a quiz, that is to say before they found all the right answers. If you want to allow this behavior, you should check the "Add a Give Up" button under the "Navigation" setting on the QuizPort quiz settings page.

> If my quizzes have numerically sequential names
    > will Quizport recognise their order

Yes.

> does it still need the next exercise name in each quiz

No. The pre- and post-conditions will take care of the ordering for you.

> am I right in understanding that with Quizport
    > I can change the order of my quizzes within the course,
    > via the Edit Quizzes page, without having to bother with
    > changing the next exercise button?

Exactly. Strictly speaking the quizzes are in a "unit" not in a "course", but I think that is what you meant wink
So, now you are getting the hang of pre- and post-conditions and you understand how to name your quizzes so that they are initially added in the order you want, I think you can cut down significantly the time it takes to create a unit.

One more feature which you may find useful is the "Previous activity" setting on the QuizPort unit page. This setting allows a teacher to "lock" a QuizPort activity, i.e. make it inaccessible, until a certain grade is attained for some other Moodle activity. Thus, you can create a learning path through the QuizPorts, as well as through the quizzes within each QuizPort.

all the best
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -
Gordon, this is fantastic. Quizport cuts out hours of messing about and simplifies the whole process of building a course. Thank you SO much!!!!

Deborah
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -
Just waiting eagerly now for you to make Jintro and JMemory Quizport compatible so I can convert my cumbersome 400 exercise course, which incorporates these, into a lovely simple to administer, Quizport!smile
In reply to Deborah Delin

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Deborah,
I don't think JIntro or JMemory will be coming "soon", but it is on my list of output foramts I would like to include in QuizPort
Gordon