Assignment

single file upload vs. advanced uploading

Picture of Tiffany Morgan
single file upload vs. advanced uploading

I wanted to get people's opinion on this one - is there any benefit to using the single file upload rather than the advanced uploading assignment option? It seems that you can everything in advanced uploading that you can do with single file upload, plus more.

What is your take? Which have you found most beneficial?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Re: single file upload vs. advanced uploading
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
Well that's an interesting question Tiffany; to be honest I had never really thought about it. I tend to use the single file upload because I tend to want them to -er - upload a single file. And the advanced if I want them to upload more than one. ( I never use the feature whereby you can receive, mark and send back work - I always think it sounds like too much effortsmile ) But I do take your point that you can do a single file upload with the advanced uploading too. But then again if you only want them to upload one file the settings for upload a single file are simpler, quicker to set up. Hmm.. wonder what others will say and if there is something obvious I have missed here as to why one is preferable than the other in certain circumstances?

Picture of Derek McMillan

I always use single file upload. Pupils tend to be confused by the options otherwise. Unfortunately the single file upload has ceased to work on our system at the moment! Irritating.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of kamal bhattarai

hi guys i m pretty new in Cambridge college . can some one help me please ? how to upload assignment from moodle.

Davo
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

If you are a student in the college, then I suggest you ask your tutor or IT dept to help you with that - they will be more familiar with the details of your local system.

If you are a tutor, then again, I'd advise talking to your own IT dept first, but you could also try reading: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Assignment_module

Ben talking on the phone beside a monitor
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters
The biggest problem with single file upload is the astonishingly complicated upload process if you respond with a file. For that reason, we moved away from single file upload.

Advanced uploading gives my faculty all the flexibility they want.
  • If they want to copy & paste a comment into the comment box, that's fine.
  • If they want to use Word's reviewer toolbar and upload a file full of comments, that's fine.
Advanced uploading has an added feature.
  • We use the Notes option when we provide progress reports to parents. We ask the parents to sign off in Notes that they've read the report.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Teresa Gibbison
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersTestersTranslators
Hi there
Our University disabled the use of the Single File Upload so our staff now only use the Advanced. The reasons behind this was:
  • we figured the single upload was redundant due to being able to alter the number of files uploaded in the advanced to 1
  • we modified the code to allow staff to bulk download the submissions and to display and email an official submission receipt after clicking 'Submit for marking' (see our development page http://online.waikato.ac.nz/wcel/development/)
  • we modified the text displayed (via the lang editing) after student's click 'Send for marking' to include a certification that it is their work and we can use electronic plagiarism detection tools if necessary
  • staff love the response file and complained when they couldn't do it on the single
  • it's one less tool for me to explain & train users how to use (Ok, that reason is a little selfish but anyway!)
That's our thoughts
Cheers
Teresa

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
Picture of Paul Ganderton

Hi everyone,

Just as I was about to post I see everyone is tipped towards advanced uploading. I just use the single file because it's easy for what I want.

Teresa, I'm very intrigued about your modifications. I looked at your site but couldn't find more detailed ideas of how to implement this. Can you possibly give more information. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Paul

Picture of Teresa Gibbison
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersTestersTranslators
Hi Paul
The modification of the text displayed was changing the 'onceassignmentsent' string from
Once the assignment is sent for marking, you will no longer be able to delete or attach file(s). Do you want to continue?

to

I certify

• that this assignment is my own work
  • that any copying or paraphrasing of the words or ideas of others in any way or form is properly acknowledged through full and accurate referencing
  • that I have not received credit for material in this assessment in a different paper.

I confirm that I have not cheated in any way in the creation and submission of this assignment.

The University takes academic integrity seriously and expects its students to uphold this ideal. Assignments are checked for evidence of plagiarism and this may include submitting assignments to web-based plagiarism detection tools where a copy may be stored. I give my permission for the assignment to be processed in any of these ways.

Once the assignment is sent for marking, you will no longer be able to delete or attach file(s). Do you want to continue?

The rest is basically the Assignment module update to support Bulk Downloads and Receipting (70kb Zip) section of our development website. This is a modification we contracted Catalyst IT to complete to allow our staff to bulk-download (which I think is coming anyway) and to provide a coversheet for our students. I'm sure the zip file on our site has a readme but let me know if you continue to have trouble and we'll go from there.
There is also a patch on MDL-7206 for downloading all assignment submissions from Dan Marsden and the TurnItIn integration is from Dan also.

I hope this helps & sorry for the long post!
Cheers
Teresa

Picture of john matylonek

What possible reason could there be for the lack of an Upload Button generated when creating either a single file upload or advanced uploading assignment. The question appears but no way for the student to upload an assignment. Is my installation missing something?

Also, on a unrelated note, why doesn't my installation send email to me (even though all the email check boxes have been checked)

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Which version of Moodle are you using John and more importantly have you logged in as  a real student to see if the upload button is there? A teacher won't see it and sometimes if you use the "switch role to student" feature you don't see it either.

Mary et. al.

You are right. Even if you switch roles one does not see the upload button. This is a relief. Now, I can justifiably pester my students (can the system automatically pester students?) for not finishing a essay assignment. But if one logs in as a real user all is good - the button appears.

Now, I have to figure out how to get email updates....all the buttons are checked....I guess it could a server configuration thing....I will use gmail app mobile smtp settings.

Picture of Martin Lewis

I had this problem once. Embarassed to say I had the start date wrong! Another thought is to do with 'groupings', if set.

The start date is fine.  Groupings not enabled. Student view does make the button appear. I wonder if I login as a real student? I'll try that.

Mary Cooch

Yes DO use real student logins whenever you are testing stuff because as I said  before, even the "switch role to" doesn't always give you an accurate view.

Picture of David Seager

Is advanced file uploading best for submitting essay exams privately from student to instructor?  I need a mechanism like Blackboard's Group Pages, in which I created groups for each student with only a specific student and myself as members.  Only the two of us could see it, and students submitted their essays there for my evaluation.  Is AFU the same thing in Moodle?   I can receive replies at: davidrseager@yahoo.com  Thanks!

Mary Cooch

There are various ways for students to submit essays privately to instructors - you can do this with Advanced file uploading - you can also use the upload a single file or the online text assignment - the latter being where they type their answer directly into Moodle rather than uploading it in Word.

Picture of David Seager

I guess I didn't see anywhere specified that these are private once they're built.  Thanks for the response; I'll try Advanced file uploading and see how it works.

Picture of David Seager

In fact, I don't see how to build it privately.  Would I just give each build of the Advanced file uploading a student's name, like in Blackboard's Group Pages?  I need one for every student for midterms and finals.

Picture of Randy Orwin

Hi David,

By default, any of the assignment types are private. When you create an assignment, Moodle creates a private assignment for each student in the course so you only have to create the assignment once. When a student logs in they will only see their own files and your responses. No need to create a separate assignment for each student. In your case you would only need to create two assignment activities, one for midterms and one for finals. Hope this helps.

Randy

Picture of Amanda Doughty
Core developersPlugin developers

Hi Teresa,

We use a slightly modified version of your assignment receipt code. Thank you for sharing it. Are there any plans to develop it for Moodle 2?

Amanda

Picture of sanjay vedula

I go with the advanced uploading. It suits my requirement. Multiple upload option for a single assignment. Moreover, send for marking feature to add to it.

Picture of Adma Lim

my vote go to ... ...

Advanced Uploading of File

It's more useful. Like the others have said, the teachers can set the no. of file to upload to 1 which is like the single file upload. And it not necessary for the teachers to always have to attach the response file, they could make use of the comment box as they grade the students' assignment. (Again, it work like the single file upload)

The only improvement which I'm hoping to have for this Advanced Uploading of file is the ability to download all the submission into a zip. There are ppl who suggesting DTA but i would still like to see it in moodle environment.

Picture of Tiffany Morgan

Thanks to everyone for the input! I think I agree that the way to go is going to be Advanced Uploading of File.

...now the REAL trick...anyone know a way to do this en masse, rather than recreating all assignments? This was the only input I could find on the matter. I CAN tweek the database, but would really be happier with a different route...

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=111327

Thanks again!

Picture of Rick Barnes

We do have one issue with the advanced uploading (however it is what we use for the majority of assignments) Pupils have to delete files once they reach the maximum allowed to make space for a new/improved file. Amazing how many don't see the X. But this means that pupils can delete a file without handing in a new file. On our criteria based course this means that their marks temporarily revert to 0 and unless we update the criteria then the gradebook is incorrect until improved work is submitted. Also if pupils upload the same file then both will be saved in the advanced upload which is useful to record progress but not if they end up unable to add new files as they can't remember which version of a file they need to keep.

Picture of Anne Mace

A couple of questions come to mind: 1) Will Moodle tolerate a .zip file upload and 2) if so, how does it handle the download and subsequent de-compression?

I am used to providing comments for many assignments and when the students submit complete websites, I provide a feedback, formalized form, for them to see the +s and -s of the submission. I assume this may be done with Moodle as well--?

Mary Cooch
Do you mean you as a teacher uploading a zip file? Yes - you can do that and there is the facility within the course files to unzip. No problem with this.

Picture of Anne Mace

No, student submission of work. In the development process I have uploaded many zip files for my course.

Ben talking on the phone beside a monitor
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters
Advanced uploading allows zip files to be uploaded by students. Moodle won't, of course, do any downloading and decompressing; that's your job smile

I'm betting your biggest issue is going to be setting the max limit on file size for your Moodle site and your classroom.

I luv my sons Kevin and Kyle

It is much easier to use regular file upload!!! smile

Picture of Philippe Siwinski

Hi,

could you please update us on the differences between those two upload activities in Moodle 2.0 ?

Thanks.

Picture of Patti Davidson

I'm leaning toward advanced uploading because I don't see a way to delete a student's file that has been uploaded via the single file upload. I see the x to delete a file in the advanced upload type, but not the single file upload. Am I missing something or is there no way for a faculty member to delete a file once uploaded via the single file upload method?

Mary Cooch

Why can you not get the student to delete it themselves by uploading something else?

Picture of Patti Davidson

I was wondering if they could just upload their file again and if it would overwrite the original file, but wasn't sure this would work. Do you need allow resubmitting? Thanks and I enjoyed your book on Moodle 2.0

Mary Cooch

Thanks. I always allow resubmitting. Yes - it overrites the first file.

Picture of Marie-Josée Vivier

Hi, When you talk about the advanced uploading, you mean to upload all the assignement in one zip folder? (I'm using a french version of moodle, so just to make sure). Well I have a question about that if anyone can help, I would be very grateful.  When we upload all the assignement that way, is there a way to correct the assignement (I usually open the files with word, I have to write comments directly on it) and instead of giving each files back one by one to the students, to download all the assignement with the corrections in a zip folder and it couls reach back each student automatically so they receive their documents?    Or any suggestions about the more efficient way to correct assignements that need to have comment directly on it (and not using only the feedback box of the quick evaluation)? Thank you very much!