Problem: Moodle 1.9.5+ Grader Report, static student column, and IE 6

Problem: Moodle 1.9.5+ Grader Report, static student column, and IE 6

by Carvell Fenton -
Number of replies: 55

Hello all,

This is painful to admit, but some of our systems are still using Internet Explorer (IE) 6. I upgraded a test server this morning to Moodle 1.9.5+ (the weekly), and was experimenting with the new Grader Report. Very nice by the way! I did have one issue though. When I turn on the static student column, and then turn on editing in IE 6, the student column ends up above the marks, almost like two separate tables, rather than the expected behviour. I tested in Firefox 3.0.11, and everything works as advertised.

Is this just a limitation in IE 6, or has anyone else had this problem and been able to get the static student column to work in IE 6?

I am not really expecting the Moodle team to support IE 6... *sigh*... I know I don't want to! mixed

Thanks in advance as always
Carvell

In reply to Carvell Fenton

Re: Problem: Moodle 1.9.5+ Grader Report, static student column, and IE 6

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Carvell,

Unfortunately, as you've found, the horizontal scrollbar and static student column in the 1.9.5 gradebook do not work in IE6. You may wish to watch / vote for / comment on the tracker issue MDL-19596 - Disable gradebook horizontal scrollbar for IE6 users.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Carvell Fenton -

Helen,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly... I am always impressed by that smile

I was afraid that would be the answer. I clicked on the MDL link that you included, and I believe that issue is considered closed now? Does that mean the decision was made to include the disable check in 1.9.6? I may be reading the tracker incorrectly.

Thanks again,
Carvell

by Nicolas Connault -
No, in fact this is supposed to be in 1.9.5: IE6 is detected and the horizontal scrollbar code is disabled. Are you not getting that result?
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Matt Gibson -
I'm not getting that sad When was it added?

by Carvell Fenton -

Nicolas,

The scroll bar is disabled, but the problem I see is separate from the scroll bar. I did some more testing this morning, and the behaviour I see happens in IE 6 and appears to be related to browser display area, and the size of the grader report. I am observeing this in IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 ... wow, that's a mouthful.

I have attached an image. There are three behaviours I see:

1. Once the grader report exceeds the display area, the student names column separates from the marks and the marks go underneath (see attachment).
  2. If I am able to make the browser display area large enough, and I am editing, the student names column moves back up, but it does not line up the rows correctly, the result being student names offset from the marks rows. I think other people have mentioned this issue?
  3. If I am not editing, and the browser display area is large enough to show the complete grader report, then the names column lines up, the marks are displayed in rows lining up with student names, and the horizontal bar is disabled.

I tested this using my theme (copy of standard with just logo and icon changes) and the standard theme and the behaviour is the same in IE 6.

This is not a "show stopper" for me, as we can just use the grader without the frozen column. The frozen column is a great idea though, and if this is unintentional behaviour in IE6, and IE6 is supposed to be supported, then I thought I would point it out.

Thanks
Carvell

PS. There is one blank student name in the attachment. I blanked that intentionally, it's not a grader problem. The other students are my "test" students wink

Attachment IE6-editing.png

by Carvell Fenton -

I figured a picture is worth 1000 words, so here is a screenshot for behaviour 2.

Carvell

Attachment behaviour2.png

by Carvell Fenton -

And here is one for behaviour 3. Behaviour 3 is likely the as expected behaviour for IE6.

Carvell

Attachment behaviour3.png

by Nicolas Connault -
Thanks for the useful posts and screenshots, Carvell. I've just added some browser checking to 1.9.5+, please update at the usual weekly release time.

by Carvell Fenton -

Thanks for checking into this Nicolas. I will update the next chance I get.

Carvell

In reply to Helen Foster

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
I am getting the same problem with IE 8 on a Windows XP machine. Any help there? So individual users can disable the horizontal scroll bar or does this have to be done by the admin. This is a BUMMER since this is one of the best features in the new gradebook. But since you have only mentioned this as a problem in IE6 maybe there is hope for me. Attached is my screen shot which is having the same behaviours as Carvell. We have been working with Remote Learner to correct the problem without luck.

Attachment Grade1.9.5AlignError.jpg
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

Re: Moodle 1.9.5+ Grader Report, static student column, and IE 8

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Deb,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the horizontal scrollbar using IE8. If you've not done so already, please report it in the Moodle Tracker and post the issue number in this discussion.

Currently the only way for individual users to disable the horizontal scrollbar is to edit their profile and change the screenreader option to 'Yes', though obviously this has implications elsewhere in Moodle.

by Carvell Fenton -

I hereby decree that all of us shall switch to Firefox! Sorry... just kidding big grin That is likely no more an option for others than it is for me.

I was fully expecting this to have been just an issue with lack of support in IE 6 for some Javascript behaviour or style. If it is showing up in IE 8, perhaps that points to a different issue. I agree with Deb, it is a very nice feature of the new gradebook. I haven't had the chance to try what Nicolas has already added to 1.9.5+, but I will at some point.

Thanks
Carvell

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks Helen and Carvell. I agree on Firefox and I use it as my default although being a state worker we have to use IE to access our intranet and some other resources and they frown upon using Firefox although I have gotten them to "lighten up" and allow moodle instructors to download but utilizing and getting comfortable with two different browsers presents an extra hurdle to moodle use among faculty and do not want to make it any more complicated so I do need to make sure it "plays nice" with IE. Adjusting their profile settings might be a work around, but might have other implications as Helen mentioned.

I will see about getting the latest build installed that Nicolas mentioned (has anyone installed the latest build and tried it with IE8 - that would sure save me the time from testing). If that does not work I will put it in tracker although I am really surprised this has not come up. I would think the many IE users have upgraded to IE8.

Thanks for the input. If anyone else is using IE8 and 1.9.5+ I would love to hear if you are having the gradebook alignment issues that we have discussed.

Happy Moodling!

by Teresa Gibbison -
I also use FF and (unfortunately) have many users that are IE users by either force or habit!! Here is my screenshot using IE7 - I'll upgrade to IE8 and take another one.
Cheers
Teresa
Attachment ie7GradebookSidebar.gif
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Teresa Gibbison -
And it is the same for IE8 (yes, I installed it and it forced a restart of my machine Boo!)
Teresa
Attachment ie7GradebookSidebar.gif

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks for your post and great screenshots. So have you installed the latest build of 1.9.5+, if not what build are you running. I was hoping maybe installing the latest build might fix the problem, otherwise one of us should report to tracker.
We are currently running: Moodle 1.9.5 (Build: 20090513)
on our test server. If you have the latest build that will save me the time from trying that. I have a request into our Server Host to install the latest build, still waiting for a reply.
Thanks for your input. Really appreciate it? Anyone else?

by Carvell Fenton -

I am not going to get to try any additional builds until late next week at the earliest. I have disabled the feature for now. Unfortunately, with the stuff I am working on, I don't have time at the moment to do another version update.

If I do get time, I will post the results here, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Carvell

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Totally understandable Carvell. I have requested our Moodle host to install the latest build. I will let everyone know if this corrects the problem and if someone out there has installed the latest build of 1.9.5+, it would be great if you could let us know if the IE8 Gradebook alignment problem persists when you have horizontal scrolling enabled. Thanks!

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Deb
The screenshots above are from Moodle 1.9.5+ (Build: 20090623). We're about to do pre-production testing of 1.9.5 shortly with a hope of upgrading before B Semester (14th July 2009). I'm really hoping this will be solved as I like the static student list, of course only a few of our teachers have taken my advise to check the coming update so they won't know it's there if I don't enable it!!
Cheers
Teresa

by Nicolas Connault -
Deb and Teresa,

Your screenshots seem to indicate 2 things:

1. You may be using a different theme than the standard one. This may mean you need some changes in CSS to get this to work
2. More likely to be the real cause: your grade item titles are wrapping over several lines. This is incompatible with the fixed students "column" because that "column" is actually a separate table that knows nothing about the table of grades. It assumes that the row of grade item titles is always the same height.

You can actually fix this by preventing grade item names from wrapping. In the CSS, the rule should be:

.heading_name_row th {
whitespace: nowrap;
}

It looks like you don't have this CSS rule for some bizarre reason.

by Matt Gibson -
Could add a small bit of JS to find the height of the main table header, then apply it to the side column header?
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Nicolas Connault -
I have thought of that, Matt, but currently this fixed student column solution is JS-free, and I would like to keep it that way as much as possible, unless we can also find a solution for non-JS browsers.

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks I will chat with Remote-Learner and see if that will work. Appreciate the input.

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Nicolas
The screenshots I took are using the Standard theme (our theme has a lovely red banner!). I tried adding your suggestion into both the standard theme and our theme but still had misaligned rows - more noticably when I have nested categories (which now makes sense if these are two different tables...)

Then I reset my changes and found that the page element has css coding so searched and came across this in grade\report\grader\styles.php:
.heading_name_row th {
 white-space:nowrap;
 width:2000px;
}
I tried changing 'white-space' to 'whitespace' but that didn't work either...

I've not locked the column for now as we had a successful 1.9.5+ update today (during our teaching recess) and the teaching staff have enough to work on getting used to the great new interface! I've had good reports so far even though most of them didn't check out the test environment first like I suggested!
Cheers
Teresa smile

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
This did not, unfortunately work for us. Bummer. Hopefully a solution presents itself before the fall semester starts. I am really excited to upgrade to 1.9.5 but do not want to disable the horizontal scrolling site wide as it is a really nice feature. Hopefully someone is working on a fix. Thanks for everyone's input.

by Elena Ivanova -
We have a code on testing that allows instructors to either enable/disable sticky column for themselves, plus to repeat assignment names every x number of students. So it's kind of a solution for us, just from another perspective.
I will check with our programmers to see if we can post it to tracker as an improvement suggestion.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Nicolas Connault -
I've just used Matt's idea in the latest 1.9.5+. Please update and let me know if that works for you.

by Carvell Fenton -

I just wanted to mention that I am heavily tasked at the moment working on another issue, and may not have time to do an update just yet. I will try it as soon as I can.

Thanks for checking into this.

Carvell

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Did not work for us sad Any other ideas? This is a bummer!

by Nicolas Connault -
  1. Make sure you refresh your browser cache.
  2. Could you please also attach a screenshot?
  3. Do you have JS switched off?
  4. Is your user preference "screenreader" on/off?
  5. On which browsers can you reproduce the issue?
Sorry I have to ask these questions again, but since a fix has been committed, the troubleshooting has to restart once more...

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Hello Nic-
I was actually able to get the cells to align when logged in with IE 8 by using the vertical scroll bar pictured in the attachment. But do not understand why this additional scroll bar shows up as it does not show up when I log in with firefox. The only problems I have ever had involve IE. So I guess the problem is resolved enough for now, although the additional scroll bar confuses me. It should not be there. Now if we had a vertical scroll bar and the column headings stayed frozen and you could scroll down through the students that would be awesome, but I read in tracker it would be too complicated to enable in v1.9.

A few other questions - What is JS and how do I switch it off? Maybe it stands for Java Script? I need that enabled for other applications I use but maybe I just need to switch it off on our site. I notice in my individual Profile Preferences a spot that lists AJAX and Javascript and "No use basic web features" is selected and screen reader is off. We can not enable AJAX due to our use of Activity Locking.

Thanks for your input.

Attachment IEGrades1.9.5Align.jpg

by Nicolas Connault -
Thanks for the screenshot, Deb. I've seen this scrollbar issue also in various versions of IE, I don't think there's any way to prevent it, unfortunately. Just put it under "IE stupidity" if that makes you feel better smile

JS stands for JavaScript. Whether it is on or off depends on the browser, not on the site, so there is no way to know which users will have it on or off. If you turn it off, the grader report will revert to its old look, as one big table. It's probably not what you're looking for.

AJAX is a method involving JS which consists of reloading certain elements on the page without having to reload the entire page. It is not currently used in the gradebook (in 1.9.5) so you don't need to worry about that.

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Alrighty Thanks for all the feedback Nic. Really appreciate it.

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
The horizontal alignment challenge is back. We just upgraded to the latest stable build of 1.9.5 on our test server and now I am not able to get the rows to align. I would assume any bugs that had been fixed since the tracker indicated this had been fixed would have been incorporated into the latest build or is there something we need to do to fix this in addition to a fresh install? We have many faculty and state employees that are prevented from using any browser except IE so this is a big issue for us and the horizontal scrolling feature is also essential so I really do not want to disable.

Attached is a screen shot.
IE v8 & Moodle 1.9.5+ (Build: 20090722)

Thanks for your help. This is our last hurdle to upgrading to 1.9.5 which we need to do and get fully tested before faculty and students come back shortly.
Attachment Grade1.9.5AlignProblem.jpg

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Replying to my own post here. Well - looks like it is a theme issue. We have a custom them and the row alignment challenge does not appear when using a standard theme. So apparently this has been resolved for sites with standard themes. Never mind smile

by Christopher Molnar -
Deb,
Can you let me know which standard theme you are now using?
-Chris

In reply to Christopher Molnar

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Well once again I posted too soon. I am currently working on my MCCC and have a sandbox on Remote Learners moodle server and they are using a different moodle theme and the same problems appears. Ooops! I tested it out with numerous themes from their drop down list located in the course settings (see attached) and have highlighted the ones that DO NOT have this alignment problem with IE8/Gradebook. I also suspect this problem exists in other versions of IE but that is the one I have. Remote Learner is working on solving the problem and if anyone else can offer assistance beyond what has already been posted, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
Attachment Themes.gif

by Marisa Sudano -
I have found that when you go to your Profile settings, you need to choose No for Screenreader. When I do this, my lining up is pretty good--not as good as firefox, bu pretty good. I also found out, though, that with IE8, I have to click on the top of the browser menu an icon that says compatability. It seems to really fix things.
In reply to Marisa Sudano

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks, I will pass that along. But this would disable the horizontal scrolling with the Name Freeze Pane correct? Really difficult to use the gradebook with lots of grades without this feature. Hoping someone can come up with a fix. Thanks!
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Elena Ivanova -
just commenting on my own post here from July 3rd.
we did develop this and it works great, but because of other modifications that we have done, we cannot really have it packaged nicely to share. bummer sad

by Jonathan Robson -
The following CSS fixes this issue. Just add it to "/theme/[name-of-theme]/styles_ie[version#].css"

.grade-report-grader .heading_name_row a {
white-space:nowrap ! important;
}

.grade-report-grader .right_scroller {
overflow-y:hidden ! important;
padding-bottom:18px ! important;
}

The first part fixes the wrapping issue. The second part fixes the fact that IE 6 & 7 puts scroll bars for div elements inside the scrollable area instead of outside (like every other browser).
In reply to Jonathan Robson

by Troy Williams -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jonathan,

I'd still had problem with IE6 dropping the .right_scroller div where a course had many quizzes. Below is slight variation:

/*
 * These styles are ONLY included for IE 6 (via meta.php)
 */

.grade-report-grader .left_scroller{
 width: 30%
 padding-right: 0;
}
.grade-report-grader .right_scroller{
 overflow-y: hidden;
 overflow-x: auto;
 padding-bottom: 14.4pt;
 padding-left: 0;
 width: 70%;
}
.grade-report-grader .heading_name_row th{
 width: 100%;
}

/*
 * These styles are ONLY included for IE 7 (via meta.php)
 */

.grade-report-grader .right_scroller{
 overflow-y: hidden;
 padding-bottom: 14.4pt;
}
.grade-report-grader .heading_name_row th{
 width: 100%;
}
In reply to Troy Williams

by Jonathan Robson -
No offense, but it's hard for me to justify spending too much time making things work in a browser that hasn't been updated in three years.

by Christopher Molnar -
Hi Jonathan,

I am seeing the problem (split screen issues) outside of IE6, on Safari, Firefox as well. For some reason I have tried all the "fixes" people have suggested and I am still not seeing the correct layout.

I am happy to try ANYTHING that someone suggests (I am on CVS HEAD).

-Chris

In reply to Christopher Molnar

by Jonathan Robson -
Chris,

I'm pretty sure you're the only one having this problem in Safari or Firefox. Not really sure what else to say.

by Christopher Molnar -
Hi Jonathan,

If I give you a user ID and password with website address via private email can you take a look and see what I am seeing, it is happening with all versions of IE as well. Just so you don't think I am going nuts.

Thanks,
-Chris

BTW: Please tell me where to send if you agree.

Thanks,
-Chris

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Good point Jonathan. I would just like to make it work with IEv8.

by Jonathan Robson -
Deb,

I'm a little confused about people saying this doesn't work in IE 8. I've looked at the same grader report page (that looks messed up in IE 7) on three different computers running three different versions of Windows all with IE 8, and it looks just fine. Are you sure you don't have Compatibility View turned on?

by Sonny Herrick -

I use IE8 and Fire Fox cannot make the scroll bars even appear? Out of ideas why? Beleive all admin setings are correct?

In reply to Sonny Herrick

by Jonathan Robson -
Sonny,

Can you post a screenshot?

by Sonny Herrick -

Jonathan: Sorry I am so late with a reply. Have been out of the office for a few days.

I could not add a screen shot, seemed to be an issue with the Moodle.org site? I did attach a file showing a screen shot with and without compatibility view. IE8, winXP. I am getting about the same thing in FireFOx and Crome.

I may just have missed a setting which I am hopeing when I upgraded, it wouold not be the first time. One other thing worth noting is I installed using the latest version of xampp on windows 2003 server. The latest xampp does not come with PHP 4 and am wondering if that is affecting anything? I know previous versions had the php switch and I could revert back to 4 or 5 to test in situations as this.

Thanks So Much

Sonny H.

by Sonny Herrick -
To further confuse things I did some testing and it is working in ie7, but with a long grade page it cannot  static scroll all the way. I have also tried with other themes to no avail in ie8. At the time i am using the standard theme. 

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Yes I am sure. With compatibility view turned on it is really messed up. Turned off it is not bad, and I can live with it but it is still out of alignment as my screen shots in previous posts above show. About 5 different faculty on different computers some Vista, some XP have sent me similar screen shots. So you are very lucky to not see this problem. Even our host Remote Learner is having the same problem. But again it is close enough not to be too annoying. So you are using the horizontal scrolling bar in the gradebook with IE8? If you disable this there is no alignment problem. Also if you do not have man grades in your gradebook or any long grade titles you also might not see this. Thanks for your input.

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Does this fix the problem in IE8 as well?

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks Jonathan - that did work. No more problem with IE8 - finally! Thanks a bunch!