List of future enhancements for 1.9 Dialogue

List of future enhancements for 1.9 Dialogue

by Teresa Gibbison -
Number of replies: 16
Following is a list of future enhancements planned for the 1.9 Dialogue. Please feel free to discuss these and indicate your priority preference(s) in this forum. Please feel free to add to this list within the Dialogue module documentation.
  1. Close Dialogue conversations when students are unenrolled
  2. Sort entries by columns (first name, last name, etc)
  3. Participation Report support
  4. View current conversation after an update (rather than go back to list of conversations)
  5. Display options (threaded like the forum etc)
  6. Editalways and delete capability (similar to forums)
Cheers
Teresa
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

Re: List of future enhancements for 1.9 Dialogue

by Adma Lim -
i would like to export out the dialogue in other file format for archiving purposes.

by Adma Lim -
Another suggestion:

8. For the teacher who added the dialogue, to be able to choose which teacher(s) from the course to allow to participate the the dialogue, or open to participate for all teachers (editing or non-editing)
In reply to Adma Lim

by Robert Brenstein -
Good idea. I would extend it to handle this on both individual basis (a specific person) and group basis.

If we can define both participating sides as either group or a single person, then we would have the most flexibility.

Possible scenerios beyond the obvious:

- only specific teachers can participate in a given dialog in a course
- it is possible to set up a dialog among a group of students, sort of like private forum
- a helpdesk-type dialog can be setup (also on the front page) with admin or admins vs all users

by Teresa Gibbison -
Many thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. I have added the ability to export to the Moodle docs page as this is a great idea.

RE: allowing other teachers access to participate in any dialogue conversation/thread - this can be done using the role override permissions (participateany and viewall). It will affect all conversations/threads and all users with that role.

RE: having specific groups of teachers and/or students view and participate in one specific or all dialogue conversations/threads - this functionality is in the forum using group mode so suggest you use that activity instead.

RE: Helpdesk dialogue on front page - I have successfully created a Dialogue on my dev site that would work for this, the settings are as follows:
Main Menu - Add activity, Dialogue
Allow more than one Dialogue with the same person: No
Mail Notification: Yes (if you wanted this!)
Type of Dialogue - Teacher to Student (important if you don't want this filled with student-student conversations!)
Save changes
Add the Helpdesk/Admin user as a locally assigned role of Teacher.
Override the permissions to allow 'Authenticated user' to 'Participate' (or whatever the frontpage role of your site is, mine is Authenticated user), this is important as the Dialogue is looking for 'Students' and your frontpage may not have students!

I hope this helps, keep the feedback coming smile
Cheers
Teresa

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi, I have just noted this thread.
We at ULPGC have installed Dialogue module from Waikato with some custom modifications.

We do use Dialogue as HELPDESK in some courses, setting permissions for participateany and viewall for the "staff" role in those courses as Teresa indicates. Works like a charm!! Now a staffer can atted and respond questions that were addresed to other person (taht may be on holidays etc).

We have introduced some modifications
a) Filters to reduce the list of conversations (using it as helpdesk drives to HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of conversations in one instance) in either open or closed conversatiion pages.

b) Better (in our way) Groups and groupings support.

c) Selection of the people that will appear as potential recipient of Dialogue messages. Usually students see a list of all teachers in the course and can select which one they want to start dialogue with. This is a way to restrict that list to only a subset of teachers with "manage" permission.

After a year in use, we are now correcting some minor defects detected by users in real courses. We would be happy to share our code and modifications.
In reply to Enrique Castro

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Enrique
It's great to hear your staff are having such success with the Dialogue module smile

It would be great to see your modifications. My colleague Dean Stringer is one of the maintainers so any contributions that will benefit the community can be added to the code.

Is it possible for you to outline the changes (either here or on the Moodle Doc discussion or future developments page with a note that you've done it?) and provide .diff files?

Many thanks in advance smile
Teresa

by Fritz Richter -
Dear Enrique,

I would be very interessted in your modifications of the Dialogue module. Especially the filter sounds very promising for our needs.

Thanks in advance,

Best Fritz
In reply to Fritz Richter

by Dean Stringer -
Hi Fritz. I have contacted Enrique to get a copy of his changes. Filtering is one of the changes suggested by others which we would like to add to the main Dialogue module code in CVS. Hopefully we can incorporate Enrique's change for this when we hear back from him.
In reply to Dean Stringer

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi,
The filters we have implemented are three:

a) User name
You can select a user name and view ONLY conversations with that user (either initiated by the user or addressed to that user)

b) State of response
Out teachers were quiet used to old <1.6 Dialogue, with a tab for dialogues that "need my response" and a tab for "waiting for the other person".
It was important for our teachers to know not only what conversations were seen, but which ones were already answered and which not. In fact, in some of our courses we enforce a rule asking teachers to answer students questions within a close time limit.

So, we have a filter that cheks userids of first entry and last one and let select only those open Dialogue sthat "need my response" or are "waiting for the other person" like the old way.

In addition, admins and staffers in some courses can view and/or participate in ANY dialogue. In that case, iIt can be a nighmare to localize conversations that are really addresed to you. You see all conversations between other people with the "unread" mark. So, for "allviewers" this filter has two extra options: MY-unanswered and MY-answered, so "allviewers" can have both sides all/my.

c) Sorting
In addition to selecting which conversatiosn to show, another filter allow to select how they are sorted in the page: By date of creation, by date of last seen, by user firstame/lastname, by subject. Both direct or, optionally, reverse sort.
(We know this could be done better using a tablelib table for presentation)

Those filters apply in open and closed conversation tabs.

In fact, other minor rmodifications are aimed at making Dialogue GUI more coherent with standards in other modules. For instance, in any other places in Moodle the name or a user is a link to personal profile information, but Dialogue used teh name as a link to conversation. We introduced that link into subject, just like Forum, and leave user fullnames as links to profile. Similar changes in breadcrumb.

A convenience mod we have introduced is a checkbox in the reply form to reply and inmediately close the Dialogue. In our experience a lot of students end a conversation with a "thanks" message after the isuue/questions has been answered by the teacher. Been polite and answering "not at all", and the closing implies two actions, and one is searching for the convesation again y a may be quite large list.

Of those features listed by Teresa, we see as most important from usabilty point of view:
  1. Sort entries by columns (first name, last name, etc).
    saves time when looking for a particular conversation among dozens or hundreds
  2. View current conversation after an update (rather than go back to list of conversations).
    makes easier to see any error or forgotten issue in the response. And answer and close afterwards.
I am not particularly in favor of 5. Editalways and delete capability (similar to forums). We at ULPGC enforce Dialogue in parallel with Forum precisely because Dialogue is "written in stone": unerasable. You can trust that if a conversation was initiated, it reamains there till course completion. Distantce-learning students recognize and put value in the importance of traceability. A site-wide config setting for that would be welcome.

I have already sent our modifications in ULPGC to Teresa and Dean. I hope they could take advantage or our changes.

by Fritz Richter -
Hi Enrique,

all your modifications would be extremly helpful for our needs. It would be great, if we could use your code already before the update by Teresa and Dean.

Best Fritz
In reply to Fritz Richter

by Lee Trampleasure -
I came across this thread while searching for a means to bulk unenroll students. I haven't been able to find a simple way to do this, and I would love to have an "unenroll" option on the Participants page, using the With selected users... drop down menu at the bottom.

by Adma Lim -
more suggestion:

1. Display the date that the dialogue was added
  2. Display the date that the individual dialogue was closed. the last entry date is good, but sometimes the close date is not always the last entry date.
  3. Display the date that the closed dialogue would be removed.
  4. Let the user specified the end date for the closed dialogue to be removed. Which I think it would be more flexible rather than the 7, 30,...,365 days options.
  5. Instead of "On Friday, 1 June 2009, 05:43 pm you wrote: ", would it be better that the name is displayed instead, if the dialogue was exported and archived and the people who are reading it would not know the "you" is referring to who.
I think it is not necessary to display the "You have 30 mins to edit..." after submit, instead the user should be bought to the current dialogue and allowed to edit it even if it has passed 30mins limit.

by Teresa Gibbison -
Many thanks everyone for your feedback
We have made a start prioritising the development list for 1.9 Dialogue and created tracker items for grouped requests/enhancements.
Please vote for these tracker items if you feel the priority list in the docs is not what you agree with. I have also added some page comments to the doc for the items I have not created a tracker item for.
Cheers
Teresa

by Dean Stringer -
Over the last week UOW have made a bunch of changes to the Dialogue module and committed them into CVS. The following were all inspired by requests made in this thread and on the Dialogue wiki page and the changes include code contributions and inspiration from Enrique and Petr.
  • fixed bug re lost HTML formatting (see: CONTRIB-1448)
  • added sorting of columns by name, date, post count etc (see: CONTRIB-1449)
  • improved group-mode support (see: CONTRIB-1490)
  • added participation report support (see: CONTRIB-1454)
  • change to view current conversation after update rather than go back to list (see: CONTRIB-1455)
  • lots of coding/style improvements, thanx Petr smile (see: CONTRIB-1216)
There are many more suggestions coming through and these will be dealt with as time permits. Please use the Tracker to make further suggestions, and to vote for or watch issues that interest you in particular.

If you intend checking out the latest version of the module from CVS be sure you use the MOODLE_19_STABLE branch and also perform testing of these new features before releasing the code to your production Moodle.