Can´t link to an activity at the end of the lesson

Can´t link to an activity at the end of the lesson

by Ângelo Rigo -
Number of replies: 7
Hi

I have one lesson with one linked activity, but at the end of the lesson the button linking to that activity is not displayed.

In another course i have the same situation but the button to the activity is displayed.

In both lessons (diferent courses) the last lesson page point to the end of the lesson, and both are a question page as described in the docs to enable this feature.

How can i display a button to a linked activity at the end of the lesson ?

Must be some item in the lesson configuration, but revising both they are exactly they have the same parameters.

Thank´s in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ângelo Rigo

Re: Can´t link to an activity at the end of the lesson

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Ângelo,
In the Lesson settings, under "other "there is a "link to activity" pull down menu. When the student gets to the "end of lesson page" (the Congratulations page), the link to activity appears as a button or link just above the link that returns the student to the course and the one which show the grades.

I am not sure why a lesson in one course would show a link to another activity and a lesson in a different course would not show a link. That has not happened to me (yet). Is that what is happening to you?

Thank you for the point about the question page. I will review MoodleDocs because I think it is confusing you, and probably others.

Having a question page should not effect the link to the next activity in Lesson settings.

Not having a question page can effect the dependency feature. For example, Lesson 1 has only branch tables, no question pages. The teacher sets the dependency in Lesson 2, on Lesson 1 and checks the "completed" box. Moodle will not know that the student has finished the lesson and will not let them take Lesson 2. When the teacher has at least 1 question page, then Moodle will record an answer and know the student has "completed" the lesson. I am not sure why, but that is the way it is. smile

And Lesson is not smart enough to hide the link to the next lesson when the student has failed to meet the dependency condition of that lesson.

I do not think you are talking about HTML linking embedded in a lesson question or branch table page. It is possible to manually put those links in. When the student clicks on any of those links, they will leave the lesson and go to where the link points. That could be another activity or resource, or even another course.

Sorry for so much scattered information.

Hope this helps.

In reply to Chris Collman

by Ângelo Rigo -
Hi Chris

Thank´s for your detailed answer, these are the better ones smile

In the course i have the trouble the button does not appear at the end of the lesson, this is what happening to me.

In another course works fine i have a lesson and at the end the button to the linked activity takes me to the certificate linked in the lesson.

I have the same configuration in both courses.

I am not using a html link at the end, i have tested and see that just creating a link at the end does not work for me, seems that the certificate (i am using the certificate as linked activity) does not detect that the user has finished the lesson yet.

Must be some detail in the configuration.

In reply to Ângelo Rigo

by Chris Collman -
Hi,
I thought I might as well cover all the ground I knew about. Are you using a different CSS or theme for each course? Wonder if that might hide something. Perhaps your site administrator big grin has figured out some special permission setting that hides the link with just the right context, role and course ID number.

When you edit the lesson settings to check the "link to", are you are seeing that the setting was saved? Did you try to create another quick lesson (or two) to see if the problem was just in that course, or just with that lesson, or now is something to do with the entire site? What an onion!

I am checking all 9 Moodle 1.9.5 localhost sites on my work computer today. I have a test course with a certificate, 3 simple lessons and I am documentating activity locking performance on each site. Might as well see how "link to activity" works as I run a few of my test students through each course. Love those mysteries (and onions too).

Best Chris

by ben reynolds -
Angelo,
Are you clicking "Update this lesson"?

That takes you into the lesson settings.

Then you scroll down to almost the bottom and find "Other."
In reply to ben reynolds

by Phil Coultier -
i have exactly the same problem! would be great if someone could solve this
In reply to Phil Coultier

by Chris Collman -
I think this should be an item for Tracker. Did you try to look there to see if somebody else had the same problem? If not create a bug for it so it gets on the list.

Gotta run.

Chris

by Phil Coultier -
ah ok thanks, i'e opened a query on tracker now