Resources in 2.0

Re: Resources in 2.0

by Mark Pearson -
Number of replies: 0
I have read the resource module file API migration document all the way through. It looks like a plan whose time has come. But it seems to me that there's one aspect that's missing. Maybe I spend too much time associating with Librarians but I saw no reference to handling metadata associated with Resources. The only space where information that could be termed metadata can be recorded is free-form in the 'introduction' field. This means that searching for resources over a collection of courses is basically about searching for file names. I'd like to think of faculty building up a central collection of useful resources common to a number of courses which they can label and tag and search easily. Metadata could surely be extracted from Word files, MP3 files, JPGs etc for starters. I'm not suggesting that every resource have Dublin Core metadata associated with it, but I do think that the usefulness of Moodle resources would be greatly enhanced by a simple metadata scheme which was searchable.