Seperating Groups

Seperating Groups

by John Walsh -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

We are running 1.9.4

I'm wondering if what we want to do is possible.

We want to have two forums in the same course.

We want 1 group be the only group to use one of the forums.

We want both groups to be able to use the other forum together.

Is that possible?

If so, how do I set it up.  The seperate groups/Hide doesn't seem to allow it or am I doing it wrong?

Advice is appreciated!

Thanks

John Walsh

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Walsh

Re: Seperating Groups

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You need to enable grouping in site admin. For the group where only one group can use the forum put that group into a grouping and only that group should see that forum not the other group.
In reply to John Walsh

Re: Seperating Groups

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi John
Just to back up Mary's post - you should definitely try using groupings http://docs.moodle.org/en/Groupings.

We use Groupings successfully all the time to both restrict visibility to activities and resources (something groups alone can't do) AND most importantly to configure which set of groups to use for what activity. We have staff who split their students into different groups for different activities - if you just set up lots of groups and don't use Groupings the forum group dropdown will have ALL of groups.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
P.S I don't know why it's not moved out of experimental yet - IMO it's perfectly fine...