Exemplary Courses

Exemplary Courses

by Kathy Seibert -
Number of replies: 8

I am interested in finding  some exemplary courses so that I can see some models before designing my own course.  I am new to Moodle and am doing this as a class project in my Masters Program.

I would like the course in English only and would like access as a student.  Thank you for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kathy Seibert

Re: Exemplary Courses

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -
Hi Kathy - a good start is with the list of registered sites (http://moodle.org/sites/).

You may get some specific links given to you from the lounge, but if you have any better idea what you're looking for that might mean you would get given more appropriate ideas (it's difficult because you don't know what you don't know - if you see what I mean!).

For example, are you looking for a site that's mainly collaboration (blogs, forums, wikis etc), resources (lots and lots of things to read and download), quiz/questionnaire- heavy or one that's built around a lesson (ie comprehensive online learning content).
In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

by John Viall -
I'm also just starting out with Moodle, and have tried numerous sites (http://moodle.org/sites/) to get a feel for what Moodle can and can't do.

But just like my site smile they all have passwords, and no one has guest turned on.

Does anyone who uses several of the features in Moodle have a site that we can peek into to get an idea of how best to use Moodle?

For me personally, I am teaching mostly programming courses, and currently only use resource folders (I post my weekly handouts in pdf) and quiz modules to grade my homework assignments.

But I sure would like to see what else can be done with it.

Thanks,
John
In reply to John Viall

by Paula Clough -

John,

There are a few in moodlecommons.org that you might like to look at.  Unfortunately I don't have a sandbox where I can post my classes for public access.  I do have my Biome Unit class in there... others have posted a few others. Almost all are wide open and even have the back up file available if you want to download them.

The Moodle Exchange has course back ups that have been posted to share if your site will let you do that.  I use some of them in a demo category for teachers to look at.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to John Viall

by Clare Wallace -
If you take a look on the k-12 forumn there have been some very useful ideas posted there about using moodle to personalise learning and so on......

I would recommend that you set up a course yourself using lots of the features and use that an a teaching tool in your training.

Good luck

Clare
In reply to John Viall

by Paul Fynn -

Hi John, and others looking for exemplars.

I (and I'm sure lots of others) are happy to help, but as my team decided recently when beginning to organise our staff development, its not easy to see how 'Guest access' would help, and satisfy data protection requirements etc (unless we have courses with just demo data). There are two other possible options for community members to share: distributing a course through backup, or the route we are going down with colleagues, which is a short video guided tour using video screen recording (see for example Debut Software). (I'll try and load one later)

Perhaps we could set up a library, as for example the database for databases?

Any thoughts from others?

Paul

In reply to Paul Fynn

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I teach in a secondary (11-16) school and we have the same issue as Paul, that it's not really possible to give guest access and so what I have done, as Paul above mentions, is make some video tours of inside our Moodle - if you scroll down on this youtube page there is a general tour "what can moodle do for you?" but also some subject-specific ones - although your students and courses might be different, they might give you some ideas.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Aaron Metz -
Thanks for sharing Mary - your video on "Groups and Groupings" shed a lot of light on this concept for me and I now have some great advice to share with my colleagues.
In reply to Paul Fynn

by Paula Clough -

I like these ideas.  In our school district, we have the same concerns for data and student privacy.  Movies are very powerful.  Thanks for sharing yours Mary!

In my school website, I have an X-change where the databases, glossaries, quizzes, etc. are actually set up so that so that teachers can look at them without having to set up their own.  If they want to share one, the exports, presents etc. are posted for them to download. (I'm working on the directions for how to creat and import.)  I would like to see something like that along with a set of some really nice courses for newbees to be able to see different ways that these courses can work.  Courses made for different levels can look very different.  Mary has some great suggestions for courses for younger children in her book.  Having been a Preschool through grade 8 teacher for much of my career, my courses for teachers and older students look different from those of my peers.  I can share not just the information in the courses, I can share my difference in appearance and organization.

It would be nice if we could put some of the great videos that Mary, Tom Lasic and others are making in Moodle Docs.... hmmm I thinking of an idea.

Paula Clough cool