User default language

User default language

by Wonton Sopabuena -
Number of replies: 4

Hello everyone!

First of all, I've read a lot of posts in this forum related to my problem, but none of them has resolved my problem, so I've decided to ask.

I have Moodle 1.9.5+ (Build 20090603) installed in my server.

The installed languages are English and Spanish. I only use Spanish but, of course, English package can not be uninstalled.

Spanish is the default language and I have the Automatic detection of language from the browser not actived.

My problem is that when a user registers for the first time, his profile is created with English language by default so he sees everything in English.

Anyone has any idea of what is it happening or what could I do to make Spanish the default language of new users?

Thank you very much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wonton Sopabuena

Re: User default language

by Ron Levesque -
Under 'Site Administration>Language>Language settings...second item on that list has a drop down menu for 'default language' for the whole site. Spanish should be one of the choices ..select that.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hola Wonton!

this is weird. The default language should work. Can you provide a link to your installation?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Wonton Sopabuena -

Hello again and thank you for your answers.

Finally I've solved my problem.

The thing is that I'm using Amember integrated with Moodle with a single-login. It was an Amember problem. When Amember creates a new user it always writes in user Moodle database "en_utf8" as the user language regardless of the default language.

As I only need Spanish changing this to es_utf8 works fine since all new users are created in the Moodle database with spanish language.

Thank you again. 

תשובה ל: User default language

by Yuval Shapira -

As far as i know, if your computer default language is English, the first screan (login) will be in English.

You can try to change the CSS and the main HTML files and force it to use Spanish.

UV