Links to hidden courses no longer different color

Links to hidden courses no longer different color

by Leslie Sandoval -
Number of replies: 11
We installed a Moodle theme we downloaded from moodle.org and tinkered with it a bit to make it fit what we needed for our site. However, we noticed today that courses that are set not visible or enrollable have the same color link as regular enrollable courses (on formal white and some of the default themes, they're greyed out).

I've looked through the theme and found a place for dimmed text, but I don't see anything for links. Can someone give me an idea where I'd look for this? Just spent all afternoon on it with no luck.

Thank you. smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leslie Sandoval

Re: Links to hidden courses no longer different color

by Patrick Malley -
Try this:

a.dimmed:link,
a.dimmed:visited {
color:#aaa;
}
In reply to Patrick Malley

by Leslie Sandoval -
Actually I just discovered today that everybody can see the courses that are set unenrollable and unavailable to students whereas they used to be hidden. Is doing the dimmed link thing going to fix that?? Such a headache...I wish we had a crash course in themes.
In reply to Leslie Sandoval

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Do you mean everyone can enrol in the courses that should be hidden or they can just see the links?

What happens when a student clicks on a course link that should be hidden?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Witts

by Jay Knight -
I'm not sure if this is what the other poster was talking about, but we want to hide courses that are set to not enrollable, but if they get added as students, they will have normal access to it (so still "available to students"). But such courses show up in the course list. When a users clicks one it says they can't enrol, we don't want them to see that link at all, is that possible?
In reply to Jay Knight

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just set the course to be not available to students...
In reply to Jon Witts

by Jay Knight -
But then it doesn't show up in "My Courses" for enrolled students and if a student of that course goes to the url directly it says "No course information to show." We want those courses to be usable, just not show up in the list of all courses, since students can't enroll in them themselves (teachers must add them manually)
In reply to Jay Knight

by Patrick Malley -
You could keep them available, but set enrollment keys. That would prevent any manually un-enrolled student from gaining access to the course. Admittedly, the course would still be viewable to the un-enrolled student, but it would achieve the behavior you're describing.

by Jay Knight -
That's still not quite what we're looking for, we really want courses that no one knows about UNLESS they are enrolled, completely hidden to everyone else.

I know about hidden categories, which might work, but is a little kludgy.

by William Felton -
I am need of some small help, and Patrick you seem like you could help. I have installed a new theme and I have only one problem. The 'hidden' links in the course are not being grayed out. I have followed all of the css advice out there, even changing my standard styled_color.css file. But the links never change color. I have included the primary css file from my theme, and have added this line to the top of the file.
a.dimmed:link, a.dimmed:visited{color:#FF0000;}

What am I doing wrong here? It seems so straight forward. The normal text is grayed out, but not the links.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Willy
In reply to William Felton

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
a.dimmed:link,
a.dimmed:visited {
color:#AAAAAA;
}

You need to change #FF0000 to #AAAAAA

In reply to Mary Evans

by William Felton -
Anything I change it to does not affect the color. I have used AAAAAA and a bunch of others, the color stays the same.

Any ideas? Thanks a bunch