Frontpage Settings - Site description not loading

Frontpage Settings - Site description not loading

by John Reynolds -
Number of replies: 7

Hi

I am looking for some advice regarding my front page settings - I originally had the security set to force login but have now changed this so that a site description can be seen, I have populated the front page description with some general site information however this is not showing when you go to the site.  Am I missing something realy simple!  site addess is www.elearning.reynoldstraining.com

Thoughts appreciated

John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Reynolds

Re: Frontpage Settings - Site description not loading

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Turn the editing on on the front page and add the course description/site description box. You will get it then.Or if you want a big section in the middle, go to site admin>front page settings> and scroll down to add topic section and tick that - go to your front page; turn editing on and add your description into there.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Reynolds -

Hi Mary

Thanks for that however I am still slightly confused or not doing something correctly.  I do not understand the comment 'Turn editing on on the frontp page and add the course/site description box.' - where is this located.

So far I have gone to admin - front page settings and entered my site description in here (Which is still not displaying on the front page) - I have now ticked the Topics box but no topic section is displayed on the front page either?

Clearly I am not doing or not going where I should but for the life of me cannot see what it is?

Forgot to say - I am using 1.93 Build 20081126  (But I am sure it is not the system but the user!!)

Cheers

John

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
YOu are admin? When you log into your site - on your front page - do you not get a button like this?(oh and ps - just saw you are in Grimsby!)
Attachment editingfp.jpg

by John Reynolds -

Its OK Mary - I have rubbed the sleep from my eyes and now realise exactly where you where guiding me - My apologies for appearing so dim, however i am probably going to continue the theme with this next bit!

In the Topic section at the top of the Front Page how do I get this to show as a description in stead of appearing as a lesson file to open! - I suppose what I am actually saying here is can i get the site description to display freely in the centre of the frontpage?

And yes I am in Grimsby - do you know it?

Thanks again

John

by Mary Cooch -
ok now you have got the editing turned on you can either find "add block" and add the block called course description - you will get your site description in a side block.Or you can click on the pen/hand icon on the topic section and it will take you to an editing box. Paste or write out again your site description; click save changes and you are away! (I shall look in an hour or so to check you have done it wink Once a teacher..... )
In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Reynolds -

Hey guesss what - I am there.  Many thanks for you patience.  Can I call again if (Or should that be when!) needed. I will tidy this up tomorrow now I know how.big grin

Really appreciatedwink

John

by Mary Cooch -
Excellent - I just lookedsmile I suppose tomorrow you could get rid of the course description box on the side as you now have it all in the middle.
oh - and - it's complEmenting by the way, not complImenting (once a teacher.....)