Conversion of Content to Another Language

Conversion of Content to Another Language

by David Clemis -
Number of replies: 5

In working with other CMS, I have used a facility that allows me to manage the translation of a page from one language to another.

To elaborate, in Canada, I am required to present a course in both English and French. With the Drupal CMS, I have the capability to turn on an editing feature that allows me to take a page and manage the process of translating it from English to French (or visa versa). In addition, the "shadow" translated page is displayed when the appropriate language is selected.

Is there a similar add-on in Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Clemis

Re: Conversion of Content to Another Language

by Shamim Rezaie -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Shamim Rezaie

by David Clemis -

So, if I understand the reference, I can create both English and French text in the same resource. Then, I can "tag" each language segment with the "multiling" tag.

Now, when a French-language student enters the site and selects "fr_ca" (in my case), will he/she see only the French segment of the resource?

In reply to David Clemis

by Ron Levesque -
I have used this successfully on some pages and ressources that I created on our bilingual site. Essentially, yes, choosing the language from the drop down menu displays only the language tagged in the 'multilang'. One word of caution, some system resources may need to be changed depending on context - i.e. it may be necessary to modify or even create some of the French in the Moodle ressources.
In reply to Ron Levesque

by David Clemis -
Thanks very much for this. I did a sample on my home page and it worked well. In fact, one of my colleagues has his browser set to French. When he went to the site, the French text appeared automatically.

Does it work for all resources including questions?
In reply to David Clemis

by Ron Levesque -
Exams (quizzes) is one area where I have a distinct French and English areas. Most of the material is in distinctly French or English areas because some students will access the system in one language and may rather some courses in the other. I only discovered the multilanguage tag when I was quite advanced in my courses (they are PDFs mostly and won't take the tag), but I use it on my login page and the front page. So I'm not sure if it would work in the questions and I'm eager to find out.