Help for Maths teachers

Help for Maths teachers

by Phil Cozens -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I'm an English teacher who's trying to get Moodle accepted as the VLE within a college in the UAE.  I've spoken with our Maths teachers who want their students to be able to show their working for multiple choice answers in their calculus and pre-calculus courses.  I have no idea whether this is a possibility, but would like to be able to give them a reason to try using Moodle with their students.  Needless to say, they would love to have the work graded within Moodle, so is it possible to achieve any of this through either the Quiz or Lessons modules?

Regards,

Phil

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phil Cozens

Re: Help for Maths teachers

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
I do not think this kind of thing is supported by the current quiz module. Even if it were supported, there would be difficult issues on which format the students would submit their supporting work in. You could get something along these lines by combining a quiz with an assignment, but I doubt that this would work well in practice.

An alternative would be not to have multiple choice answers, but rather answers which are symbolic mathematical expressions. This is currently supported by the Moodle webwork module. This requires the installation of another web server software called WeBWorK which evaluates symbolic mathematical expressions. You can take a look at the following example:
https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/moodle1_4/course/view.php?id=66&username=guest
Click on the Print WeBWorK... and Do WeBWorK...online links.

There is a similar module called AIM, but as far as I know, it has not been publicly released. You might ask Gustav Delius, who is very active on this site for further details. Unlike webwork, it uses a proprietary component, Maple, which you would need to purchase.

Gustav is also leading a project called "Serving Mathemtics" (search these forums) which is intended to provide more options along these lines, but I expect that you will have to wait a year or more for this to bear useable fruit.
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Gustav W Delius -

Hi Zig, you have given a good answer to the question. Only one correction: you won't have to wait for "a year or more" for the fruits from the Serving Mathematics project. We will release production versions of all the software next March already! approve

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Phil Cozens -

Gustav, I don't know enough about the Math's concepts to fully understand the project, but I will pass on your message to the people here.  Thanks for passing it on.

Phil

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Phil Cozens -

Zig,

Thanks very much for your help.  I have passed your comments on to our maths teachers and hope that they will be able to use your advice.

Phil