certificate module 1.9.5 conditional upon ....

certificate module 1.9.5 conditional upon ....

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 18
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. I have a course in 1.9.5 and I want to set it up so pupils get a certificate after they have got a certain percentage in six different assignments.
Fine - I have done that, I think,
However...there are other assignments in the course and in the gradebook too but I do not want to include them.
My problem is - if I set the course total to the average of the 6 assignments I want, it includes the other assignments and gives them the certificate when they haven't reached the correct grades in the ones I want.
If I set the course total to not required -it gives them the certificate automatically anyway!
I think I have misunderstood this somehow and would appreciate some help. Thankyou.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: certificate module 1.9.5 conditional upon ....

by E. L. Cooper -
Have you tryed Dependent activities > Linked activites and a required grade on link activities?
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

yes -that is what I have been using but it doesn't seem to do what I want sad

The 6 assignments I mentioned in the first post are the dependent activities with the required grades.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Drechsler -
How about a custom calculation for the Course Total that only includes the six assignments, then run the check against that rather than the 'average' total?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by E. L. Cooper -
I am still confused. When you set the activity and the dependent grade for the activity the certificate issues without the dependent grade or do you wish it took an average or the dependent activities?
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Mary Cooch -
OK:
I have a course with a lot of assignments in it.
Six of those assignments I want to be necessary to get the certificate.
They must get at least, say, 50 percent in each of the chosen six assignments to get the certificate.
So far this term they have only done one assignment so I know they can't yet get the cerficate!
But it is giving them the certificate (or rather, when I log in as a student, it will let me download the certificate) even though they have only done one assignment and therfore not met the standardsad
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
I just tested this in 1.95+ with 2 assignments and it worked fine. Don't use the course total grade to lock the certificate. Add your 6 assignments to the Dependent Activities section.
Attachment cert.gif
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks for answering Chardelle -but unfortunately -this is how I have been doing it sad
I will have another go tomorrow and let you know.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Well I am stumped now sad I tried the best solution to all problems - (as in "switch it off and switch it on again") I deleted the certificate and set it up again - in exactly the same way because that is the correct way, and the way Chardelle has highlighted above. But it still gives them the certificate straight away...
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
I tested it with this Moodle version--Build: 20090610, it is possible the early 1.95 versions had bugs??? Also, what assignment types are you using, I tested this with an online and an offline assignment.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Mary Cooch -
OK I just looked and the version is 20090527
The assignments are advanced uploading of files, although as I said before, only one assignment has been completed so far.
I too will investigate furthersmile
The annoyance is- I have been pestering my boss to get the certificate module for ages because I've used it on other Moodles and it's really motivating- now he's got it, I can't get it to work for him!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Hi again Chardelle. Well I just tested the certificate on another Moodle of the same version as above and , with the same settings as before the certificate works fine. So - it is not the Moodle version and it is not your certificate - it must be something to do with how the assignment itself and the grading of it was set up. The only thing I know is that the course, the data and studentst have all been imported from another Moodle but that should not make any difference and the assignments hadn't been marked anyway. I'll get to the bottom of this in the end.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by E. L. Cooper -
Just a thought- are you using login as? Maybe that is making a difference? We all know there are times when the system still sees us as teacher or admin even when we are using login as... Have any actual certificates been issued?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tiago C. Silva -
Hi everybody
Same problem here...

Mary, did you find a solution?

Thanks
In reply to Tiago C. Silva

by Mary Cooch -
Sorry for the delay replying EL - I had the same thought as you re the login as - so I went in with an actual pupil's login - same difference.
Tiago - no- I haven't found a solution. Are you absolutely absolutely sure -same as me - that you are fulfilling all the requirements correctly?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by E. L. Cooper -
What kind or activities are they? I am thinking test one type at a time to see where it breaks? If you give me a list I'll  check on my server too that way we know if it is install/system specific or if it is activity specific.
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Mary Cooch -
advanced uploading of files assignments. Though I think I tried it with single upload too. But it's odd because as I said before, I haven't been able to reproduce it myself on a different Moodle sad
In reply to Mary Cooch

by E. L. Cooper -

Do you have a grade associated with the upload?

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Mary Cooch -
E.L. I set it to look exactly like Chardelle's screenshot above. (But actually, we've given up in the interim which is a real shame)sad