Sizing policy

Sizing policy

by Irati Abio -
Number of replies: 1
Hi everybody!

We are working in a Moodle implementation for a reduced group of centers now but we want to define a sizing policy because more centers will use our platform in the future.

Moodle says it needs 1 GB of RAM for every 50 concurrent users but doesn't specifies if db is in the same machine or not, how many processors... Do you have any estimation about how many users Moodle can manage when the webserver and db are on separate machines? Something like a relation between processors and concurrent users?

Thanks
Irati
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Irati Abio

Re: Sizing policy

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Holy and grail....

I'm afraid it depends on how *you* are using it. If you are running Moodle now, it should be reasonably easy to go and get some numbers from your existing system that will give you a much better idea that you are going to get from vague guidelines.

In my day job at the University of Glasgow we have about 25,000 users regularly logging in (at least once a month) and that runs on twelve thumping great Sun boxes. On the other hand I know of colleges with a similar number of users using a couple of run-of-the-mill HP servers.

It doesn't help that nobody can agree on what a concurrent user looks like either. What we need is a facility for Moodle's to "phone home" statistics about themselves to Moodle HQ to get better stats.