suggestion.. when adding image: specify if clicking the image pops up a full-res view.

suggestion.. when adding image: specify if clicking the image pops up a full-res view.

by Jon Streeter -
Number of replies: 5

Would any one else find it usefull to add a lil check box to the add image dialog box that would specify that clicking the image would open a popup window with a full resolution view of the image?

This would serve as a quick and easy way to make a panel of resized image thumbnails that allow you to click on them for the full res version. 

An alternate solution would be to have a custom text filter that took a image url and replaced it with code for a link to a pop-up window with the full image at its normal size.

what do you all think?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Streeter

Re: suggestion.. when adding image: specify if clicking the image pops up a full-res view.

by N Hansen -
There are people working on integrating two different image gallery programs into Moodle (Gallery and Photoframe). I think these would be a more appropriate way to do what you want to do.

I do like the idea of a page of image thumbnails linked to pop-up windows of the full images. I'm not sure whether either one of the programs in the process of being integrated can do this though.
In reply to N Hansen

Re: suggestion.. when adding image: specify if clicking the image pops up a full-res view.

by Michael Penney -
Thats pretty much Gallery's main behavior, though not with pop-ups, but with thumbs linked to larger. In fact you can have 3 sizes, specify a maximum image size, and use a java based ftp client to boot (it also will upload movies, pdfs, etc. making the ftp client a really nice replacement for the dreadfully slow with large files form based upload).

PagEd on the other hand, is for making pages of text with images, and you can make the images pop-up, which is better for more textbook style resources (where the image supplements the text rather than the other way around).

Both Gallery and PagEd also offer full text search, while Gallery will do hidden keyword metadata in addition to full text.

We use Gallery here at Humboldt for a number of image based resources, esp. for science courses, while we use PagEd as a postnuke module for our campus PR dept.'s news site's videos as well as for our student newspaper.
In reply to Jon Streeter

by Michael Penney -
Great idea, I really like that feature of PagEd (canvas.anubix.net).

It would be a very nice addition to the image browser. However, moreso would be PagEd's other feature: automatic compression of images via GD.

What it does is you specify an image size, PagEd knocks the image down to that size, then gives the option of making an automatic link to a full size pop-up.

I'm not sure how exactly, interface-wise, this would fit with the Moodle image browser?
In reply to Michael Penney

by Jon Streeter -

Reading the other responses to this thread it strikes me that the insert image dialog box is the ideal place for this feature as i see it as a fundamental functionality that should be available anywhere you can convievably insert in image in a wysiwyg editor. 

To only allow this functionality in a dedicated module or resource seems the wrong way to approach it.

automatic resizing and compression of images via GD is an outstanding idea, and, if combined with a good cacheing scheme, would be great!

i think the CMS Typo3 uses a system where all images are handled this way, but i could be mistaken.

Beaux

In reply to Jon Streeter

by Rob Barreca -
I am very interested in this functionality. Our School Engine users are uploading 1MB images and resizing them just using the img tags width and height feature.  So these "small looking" images are really 1MB each and take forever to view when they should have been automatically sized-down on upload and compressed.

I'm also considering switching over to TinyMCE as I've had better experiences with it and many of our users are reporting bugs with the current HTML editor.

Any thoughts on the best way to proceed in coding this?