How to change letter grade values

How to change letter grade values

by Michael Moroz -
Number of replies: 3
I believe i am using moodle 1.9.5(not really sure since i have been only using it for about a week so far).

When I changed the grade total to a letter grade the letters are wrong for what the students marks are. A student who has 100% in the course has an F and a student that has 0% has a A+. Is there any way to change the values of the letters so that i can make a A+ represent 95% - 100%?

Thanks

Mike M
In reply to Michael Moroz

Re: How to change letter grade values

by Michael Moroz -
I have the scale as letter and the display as percentage. with editing on student 1 with 100% shows a course total of F and student 2 with 0% has a course total of A+.

When the Editing is turned off student 1 shows 100% and student 2 shows 0% in the course total.

Even with the display as letter the course total changes between editing on and editing off.
In reply to Michael Moroz

Re: How to change letter grade values

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Michael
I'm not sure if you're marking with a custom scale or out of a number grade, like 100.

When you're marking out of a number grade and choose to display the letter the relevant Grade Letters are set by the Administrator (Site Admin - Grades - Letters). I would check these figures to make sure they are correct. Attached is a screenshot of our screen fyi.
If this looks correct on your site it may be that you're using a custom scale which has been added to the system back-to-front.

When you add a new scale ensure you start the scale with the lowest value - check out the yellow question mark next to the 'Scale' field when you add a new scale. If you are marking with a custom scale and the scale is wrong you'll need to make a new scale then delete the wrong one (when no activity is using it).

An example of a new scale:
Scale name: Letter value
Standard scale: tick
Scale: F, E, D, C, B-, B, B+, A-, A, A+ etc
Description: University letter scale.

I always suggest to our lecturers to mark out of 100 and if they prefer to display the letter configure the gradebook to display the letter (which as mentioned above is set for the whole University site).

I hope this helps smile
Teresa