1.9.5 Non-empty grades/All Grades not working

1.9.5 Non-empty grades/All Grades not working

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Number of replies: 5
Greetings All - we are so close to being able to upgrade to 1.9.5 I can taste it smile but....I just discovered a problem and hoping there is a fix out there.

When I got into Grader View/ MyPreferences/Grades Selected for Column Averages/Non-empty (or All Grades) and save changes it does not have any affect on the students averages and it should as there are a lot of "-" in this gradebook, since it is not up-to-date. Maybe there is another setting somewhere????

I am sure it is just me or there would have been a huge out cry. Any help is much appreciated.

I am using Windows XP/Firefox 3/Moodle 1.9.5 (Build: 20090513)

Thanks!
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

Re: 1.9.5 Non-empty grades/All Grades not working

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Deb,
I have tested it on 20090604 and I was not able to replicate the issue.
I would double-check all admin settings though (just because of this thing). Go to Site Administration for the whole installation and review/save every single report/settings for the gradebook.

Just in case, you are talking about "Overall average" row not being updated on the Grader report,and not about the calculation of the total, correct?
(Because if you want to affect calculations, then you need to do this via Categories and Items interface > Aggregate only non-empty grades checkbox)

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks Elena. I did double check every setting and yes I can go into the categories and make the adjustment in every single category and then in the total course average as well.
So what is the purpose of the My Preferences/Non-Empty(or All) Cell setting than? Does not seem like it has any affect on the grades?
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Elena Ivanova -
yep, it does not affect any calculations.
It just shows differently the average for all students for one item/column. On this example I set it to All Grades, so the mean for 3 students is 32.67
Attachment a.jpg
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Kathy Cannon -
If the empty grade items are included (as zeros) in calculating the average across students, then shouldn't it also be included as zeros when calculating what the individual student receives as a course total or other category total?

Now I'm concerned and I will check on this behavior in 1.9.5
In reply to Kathy Cannon

by Elena Ivanova -
Those features (calculate overall average vs calculate total) are actuallyindependent from each other.
Calculation of the average is set on My Preferences/Grader report, and another instructor in the same course can set/see them differently. As for students, they will not see the average at all, since they do not have access to the Grader report.