Gradebook 1.9 Aggregation Methods (using excel to understand)

Gradebook 1.9 Aggregation Methods (using excel to understand)

by Kathy Cannon -
Number of replies: 3
In preparation for upgrading in place (upgrading on same server) from Moodle 1.8.5 Gradebook Plus V2 to Moodle 1.9.4, I spent some time trying to be sure I understood how gradebook 1.9 was calculating each type of aggregation. I used the Moodle help document that pops up next to the Aggregation selection drop down in the gradebook editing pages. But it did not fully answer my questions about how course totals were calculated in a basic gradebook.

In the attached document, I created a set of simple data for 3 students and 4 graded items (not subcategories). It helped me clarify what was written in the help guide. It has been my "study guide".

Could other folks here take a look and perhaps make suggestions? Maybe there are other folks who are a bit late to the 1.9 gradebook party, like me wink and might like some help understanding and comparing the aggregation methods.

[ As background context: LATTE refers to our branding of Moodle at Brandeis Univeristy. http://latte.brandeis.edu/ ]
In reply to Kathy Cannon

Re: Gradebook 1.9 Aggregation Methods (using excel to understand)

by Gary Anderson -

Kathy:

It is great that you did this in Excel as it will help others understand what is going on.

My one suggestion at this point is that you make your examples with both entire activities that have not been graded and that you have a student who has not yet had an activity graded but others have been graded (in other words, have cells without values).

Different "aggregation" methods work differently in these cases, so they are important in deciding which method to use.

--Gary

In reply to Gary Anderson

Re: Gradebook 1.9 Aggregation Methods (using excel to understand)

by Kathy Cannon -
That's a great idea! Actually, anyone downloading this file will be able to change the grades and see results update automatically. This will allow others to experiment.

Assign grades in the first yellow block and all the other blocks for the other aggregation methods will change accordingly.