language problems

language problems

by Greg Wright -
Number of replies: 5

I just installed v1.4 on a couple of servers. My client is in Spain so I installed using the es_es lang pack. However, not everything is in Spanish. In particular, the month names in the calendar are all in English (although the days of the week are in Spanish). Is there any way to change the month names? Also, some of the admin menus are part in English and part in Spanish. How do you fix those?

I also noticed some other weirdness with languages. If I do the initial install in English and then later change to Spanish, the forum titles remain in English. The reverse is true also, if I install in Spanish and then switch to English, the forum titles remain in Spanish. It looks like the forum gets skipped when switching the language thru the admin menu.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Wright

Re: language problems

by Greg Wright -
P.S. I tried using es_ES for the locale as mentioned in another post but it didn't have any effect. es_es and es_ES produce the same results.
In reply to Greg Wright

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
It IS definitely the locale that is wrong. Those are different for Win2x, Linux, FreeBSD-servers.

Try "esp" for win2k
es_ES.ISO8859-1 on freeBSD
In reply to koen roggemans

by Greg Wright -

Great! es_ES.ISO8859-1 seems to have fixed the month name problem. It didn't affect the problem with the menus part in Spanish and part in English, though.

Here's one example. I had found several others before but I don't remember at the moment where they all were. Notice that everything is in Spanish except Editor Settings.

VariablesConfigure las variables que afectan a la operativa general del sitio
Configuración de la página de inicioDefina el aspecto de la página de entrada
EntornosElija el aspecto del sitio
IdiomaPara comprobar y editar el idioma en uso
Administración de módulosGestione los módulos instalados y su configuración
BloquesManejar bloques instalados y sus ajustes
FiltrosConfigurar los filtros de texto y su configuración
Copia de seguridadConfigurar copias de seguridad automáticas y su programación
Editor settingsDefine basic settings for HTML editor
In reply to Greg Wright

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The various translations are always catching up to English and are never complete in any given release.  To make sure all languages were complete would delay releases for months or years!

Try a more recent version of Spanish from http://moodle.org/download/lang/
In reply to koen roggemans

by Athanasia Margetousaki -

I have the same problem with Greek. I use Windows 2003 windows. Where should I make the changes to have the months in the Calendar in Greek?

Thanks