Only let certain users view html block

Only let certain users view html block

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I'm stuck! I want only a certain group of users to see a block on the front page so I made them a profile of their own -clicked on the block, and went to overrride permissions - prevented everyone except that group from seeing the block and discover that if I prevent authenticated users from seeing it - then nobody can see it - but if I allow authenticated users to see it -then everybody can see it. I must be missing something really simple...thoughtful (I am hoping that merely by posting this I will come up with the solution, as I usually do!)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Only let certain users view html block

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
And indeed I didsmile I sorted out all the role overrrides etc, but forgot actually to assign the role to the people I wanted to see it -doh!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lisa Dodson -

Can you tell what permissions you gave?  I'm having the same problem.

I created a HTML block on the front page.  I created a role (called Trainer) specifically for use with the block.  Gave them permissions to view the block.  I went to the student role and set the prevent setting on viewing the block.

When I sign in as my test student, I can see the block.  I don't want the student to see the block.   I don't have any students or trainers set in system roles.

What am I doing wrong?  Roles completely confuse me, regardless of how much I read about them. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lisa Dodson -
aha!  I figured it out myself.  I changed the front page role from "authenticated user" to "student", and logged back in as the student role and it is no longer there.  Logged in as the trainer role, and it was there!   much better...