New idea - grading feed

Re: New idea - grading feed

by Paul Ganderton -
Number of replies: 0
Hi Matt and Elena,

I've seen the ILP module although I haven't been able to use it yet. Concepts of ILP that I've seen as more a question of deciding a course of action and checking on it. Following Matt's lead I was suggesting a new tack which would be to both monitor and assist in the learning process. Students would tackle a range of courses and issues for learning would become apparent. Some of these might be course-specific others would be more generic. An example from one of my students - good skills in the classroom, poor in the exam. One look at the handwriting suggests literacy problems. This is solved with a call to the right faculty but how much more convenient if everyone could see a learning profile of that student.

I know that issues arise from that:

a) education institutions have huge amounts of data they don't mine effectively;

b) we are still stuck in the notion of assessment of learning despite rhetoric of assessment for learning;

c) we need baselines (yes, Matt) but we need to find effective ones. current international arguments around grading schools and league tables are crude and probalby don't measure anything of value to the student;

d) any decent use of assessment would involve the student. It would also require a paradigm shift for both staff and students (and I speak as someone with 35 years experience in the classroom along with various qualifications/curriculum design work/research etc.);

All this comes back to the fact that Moodle is well placed to provide such a system if we could agree of exactly what the parameters were and how they could be derived!

BTW I'm trying to produce an information handling policy for my establishment (everything from file management to inofrmation sharing etc.) Either of you heard of anything like it? I see this as the first stage in shaking up data mining and usage in education but there's not exactly a basketload of examples out there. All help gratefully received thoughtful.

Cheers,

Paul