New idea - grading feed

New idea - grading feed

by Matt Gibson -
Number of replies: 7
I'm just thinking about how to best mark student's work with reference to their previous targets, which I have written into the comments section of previous assignments, workshops, etc. It's not easy right now to find out what I said without some hassle, so maybe some kind of feed like the recent activity one, which shows recent graded work with comments, so that when I look at it I can immediately, preferably from within the grading interface, and see what the issues were for the last 3 pieces of work and whether they have been addressed.

This could also work across courses, categories or the whole site.

Would this be useful and how would you see it working (where would it need to be accessible from)?
In reply to Matt Gibson

Re: New idea - grading feed

by Elena Ivanova -
I believe that User report is already serving this purpose in some way. Or do you mean something else?
If it should work across courses, I guess it can be done by a role (e.g. Mentor/Adviser), so a user can look up reports for "his" students.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Matt Gibson -
You're right - the user report is a good start, but it's not so much use if, as in my case, the students are following two courses concurrently and I need to see the most recent comments they've been given across both, or even several others as well.

Also, the user report is not time-based and it isn't easy to see which one is the most recent unless they are completed in strictly the order in which they are presented. Even then, the most recent is going to be at the bottom, so not ideal.

I also just realised that the user report is not accessible via the user profile page. Surely an oversight? MDL-19379
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Elena Ivanova -
mm, what I meant to say that it is probably better to modify both User and Overview reports and display any new info that you have mentioned there (instead of developing any other new report)

If User report is missing dates, then we can to add a column for "work submitted on"/"feedback given on" (similar to the assignment area).

If you want to see the progress of a student in several courses, then Overview report for that particular student can allow that.

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Matt,

I can see this as a good idea too. Are there two issues here? One would be a measure of the student's work against his/her baseline (which would be ipsative assessment and should be a simple calculation in the gradebook). The other is a gathering of past ideas, maybe from a range of courses, to assess learning across subject areas and issues still to be addressed.

I think that this would be moving gradebook beyond its current idea of recording marks and calculating grades towards a key element of the learning process whereby students become aware of the aspects they need to work more on. This strikes me as a totally new feature. It would also be very cool especially if we could allow parents access to discuss work with their children.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Paul

In reply to Paul Ganderton

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Paul,

I like the sound of that. How to define the baseline though? Maybe the student could be involved in the process somehow...
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Matt and Elena,

I've seen the ILP module although I haven't been able to use it yet. Concepts of ILP that I've seen as more a question of deciding a course of action and checking on it. Following Matt's lead I was suggesting a new tack which would be to both monitor and assist in the learning process. Students would tackle a range of courses and issues for learning would become apparent. Some of these might be course-specific others would be more generic. An example from one of my students - good skills in the classroom, poor in the exam. One look at the handwriting suggests literacy problems. This is solved with a call to the right faculty but how much more convenient if everyone could see a learning profile of that student.

I know that issues arise from that:

a) education institutions have huge amounts of data they don't mine effectively;

b) we are still stuck in the notion of assessment of learning despite rhetoric of assessment for learning;

c) we need baselines (yes, Matt) but we need to find effective ones. current international arguments around grading schools and league tables are crude and probalby don't measure anything of value to the student;

d) any decent use of assessment would involve the student. It would also require a paradigm shift for both staff and students (and I speak as someone with 35 years experience in the classroom along with various qualifications/curriculum design work/research etc.);

All this comes back to the fact that Moodle is well placed to provide such a system if we could agree of exactly what the parameters were and how they could be derived!

BTW I'm trying to produce an information handling policy for my establishment (everything from file management to inofrmation sharing etc.) Either of you heard of anything like it? I see this as the first stage in shaking up data mining and usage in education but there's not exactly a basketload of examples out there. All help gratefully received thoughtful.

Cheers,

Paul