Google Wave

Google Wave

by Phil Nichols -
Number of replies: 42
Surprised this isn't being talked about already.

Here's a presentation by Google on their new 'Wave' protocol.

It's quite long at one hour twenty minutes but watching it is really the best way to understand what it's all about. Essentially it's a new way of communicating on the Internet that can do the job of email, message boards, blogs, IM and more.

The central idea is that conversation are held on a server as a 'wave', with users invited to join in who can then reply, edit start new sub-waves and invite other people all in real time - you see the updates from other people as they come in. Images can be dragged in and colaboratively edited. Formatting and spell checking happens on the fly.

Scripts called 'robots' act as invisible participants in these waves, turning URLs into clickable links, embedding videos and even real-time translation. You can create your own robots to do whatever you want.

Waves can be made more public or less private and - though not demonstrated in the presentation - there is the concept of groups.

Google's implementation uses HTML5 as their client. Waves can be embedded in other sites. Their example shows a blog and then comments. These comments can either be edited on their site or within the wave client with all updates showing up in real time wherever the changes are made. The server itself is open source and the protocol is open so developers are being encouraged to make their own wave implementations. Organisations will be able to install their own wave servers - it doesn't all go through Google themselves.

Wave servers can talk to each other - users on different wave servers can add each other to their waves.

This might very well be the next big thing, and for an application like Moodle the implications could be huge. It could do the job of the Moodle forums, messaging, blogs, wikis, filters (via robots) and be used for eportfolios and lots more.

It's early days - the software is (in Google style) in Beta and not available for general use. Personally, I think getting Moodle 'wave enabled' would have massive benefits.

Or it might all just be a flash in the pan, who knows.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Phil Nichols

Re: Google Wave

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I only learned of this yesterday and am waiting till I can spare 1 hr 20 to watch it - but I am intrigued, and it is all over twitter.
In reply to Phil Nichols

by Alan Trick -
I haven't watched the movie, and I probably won't, but this seems to be a lot like usenet, only with Google branding.
In reply to Phil Nichols

by Scott Wilson -
One of the more interesting things about Wave is the use of collaborative widgets, that are aware of participants and can share state.

We've been developing this type of functionality for a while now in an open-source product called Wookie, which can integrate colaborative widgets with Moodle, Sakai, and other apps:

http://zope.cetis.ac.uk/members/scott/blogview?entry=20090227190013

So we have things like chat, voting, and so on as Widgets that can work in range of web apps with no special provisioning/authn requirements.

However the Google Wave APIs are a pretty close match for our existing API and functionality, so yesterday I implemented the Wave Gadget API in Wookie and converted the Wave examples from here:

http://code.google.com/apis/wave/samples/index.html

... into W3C Widgets (instead of proprietary Google markup), and added them to a Moodle site using Wookie:

http://img.ly/DL

What you have to imagine now is moving those fridge magnet poetry pieces around while someone is sat next to you with a different browser looking at the same course, and the pieces move around in synch between you. (Yes, it really does work - we use Comet to push changes to each widget instance; our existing widgets also work like this)

Basically this widget mechanism could eventually replace a lot of internal API extensions such as Blocks.

Hopefully we can release this on our site soon: http://getwookie.org
In reply to Phil Nichols

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I was very impressed when I saw this video but I'm also very scared about it.

It impressive to see how very different and today separated communication tools are integrated (mail, messenger,blogs, file sharing). Its impressive to see the context sensitive spelling control or the translation tools. Really great technology.

On the other hand all this is related to a Google API. That means in consequence that all the information is shared with Google. And Google can use it for whatever they want. And they are doing this over national boarders and laws. And thats a thing I will be very sceptical about.

The other thing is, what does this technology or the ideas behind mean for education?
  • Did we need a cross media/tool multiplication of information?
  • Did we need additional communication in forums?
  • Did we need a documentation and other way of representation of the history of a online communication in a forum?
  • Synchronous writing in a document and discussion is really an interesting feature for teaching and learning in traditional way (teacher<->class), in individual support (teacher<->student) and in collaborative ways (student<->student). LAMS plattform offers a 'chat&scribe' module which offers something similar.
  • What is the meaning of a context sensitive spelling tool for learning a language? And what does it mean for language learning if language translation tools can respect the context in the translation well?
    Both of my sons learned German orthography very well while using automatical marking of wrong written words within the text processor.
An other thing is the question may be to ask
  • What does Google Wave technology mean for informal learning or for corporate knowledge management?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers
Revolutionary!

Personally, I'd love to see a unified interface for email, chat, blogging and wikis. Just think about how much time we spend going between separate and distinct apps. I think this would speed up people's workflows and keep published works more consistent.

The most exciting thing for me is the synergy aspect of this project. We've seen how Nintendo have dominated the games market in recent years simply by adding a car air-bag motion sensor to their games consoles. The Wave combines a whole bunch of popular web apps. and hands it over to the open source developer community. That's a lot of potential synergy!

For example, I think it's only a matter of time before somebody combines Wave with free VoIP services like GoogleTalk and Skype. I think service providers like Elluminate and Adobe Connect should be very worried about this.

On the privacy side, the presenters did promise that users would have control over which servers and which other users could view contributions. If privacy is an issue, the project is open source and concerned parties can set up their own private Wave servers and put their own restrictions on it, behind a corporate firewall for example.

Just my $0.02! smile
In reply to Matt Bury

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Matt,

you are right. As far as I see there are no Google access options to this communications.
In reply to Matt Bury

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Hi Matt,

if the Wave technology is indepedent from Google how can they support the context orthography correction and the translation service? Both are based on Google database information.

by Skylar Saveland -
Those would be services that you could use (hosted on google's infrastructure). However, I think that one of the points is that you will be able to build your own services with the technology.

by Matt Bury -
Hi Ralf,

Re: "Hi Matt, if the Wave technology is indepedent from Google how can they support the context orthography correction and the translation service? Both are based on Google database information."

I didn't make any such claims. I said that it's an open source project and anyone is free to set up their own services with whatever restrictions they desire, e.g. an Intranet service behind a corporate firewall.
In reply to Matt Bury

by Ward Simm -
Hi Matt, I'm with you a unified interface for those things will be great, especially if Skype is included.

My $0.02 big grin

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Ralf it seems that the waveprotocol is an open protocol, so anyone can set up a waveserver and the data will reside in his own server - google will only get the data if you share a wave with someone at a wave hosted at google's, like email.

In reply to Phil Nichols

by Artem Andreev -
In reply to Artem Andreev

by Colin Matheson -
Seems a lot like social networking (which is cool), however the question I have with informal learning is how to manage it in a classroom setting. I am a big informal learner as an adult, but if I wanted to document to my boss/professor that I was learning I would have a hard time providing evidence via my informal network. So if I am a teacher and want to use Twitter/Facebook/Ning/Wave as part of my learning environment I still want a LMS to organize and manage the outcomes/evidence/deliverables.

I think what Moodle could do is provide ways for these more open systems to write activity into Moodle (and perhaps visa versa). So if I create a Moodle assignment "Find, read, and comment on blogs related to topic X" as my students go out and perform that activity it is stored and aggregated in Moodle. Then I look at my gradebook and see Student A has found 10 blogs and commented on 2, Student B has found 3 blogs and commented on 3, etc. Maybe Wave will increase the chance to document these kinds of less structured learning activities.

I am less impressed by any one system than by the ability for systems to interconnect. Wave won't be the answer, Moodle isn't the answer. If Moodle and Wave play well together than it could be a nice synergy.
In reply to Phil Nichols

by Hubert Chathi -
Before trying to get Moodle "wave enabled", I think a better discussion to start with is how (or whether) Moodle could be a better learning environment by using Wave. Google Wave does sound cool, but if we add "cool" features to Moodle just because they're "cool", it will definitely just be a flash in the pan.
In reply to Hubert Chathi

by Matt Albert -
Google Wave has the potential of being a game changer. So far the few people that have played with it believe it is worth the hype. Moodle should do its best to get wave complaint.
In reply to Matt Albert

by Hubert Chathi -
Google Wave is a tool. You can't just throw a tool at Moodle and hope that it sticks. You have to figure out how it can best be used to improve Moodle as a learning environment. I'd love to see Moodle have all the fancy new features, like Wave, and social networking, etc. But hope that Moodle will use these things properly, in a way that will enhance learning, instead of just adding new features for the sake of adding new features.

by Scott Wilson -
There are several different things that Wave offers; these are not necessary all complementary to something like Moodle.

Firstly, there is the grouping and context functionality is exactly what the core of an application like Moodle offers, and so this needs careful consideration.

Second, there is the conversation model and its versioning with playback etc. This clearly has a lot of overlap into the core of what Moodle is, and also has pedagogic impact.

Lastly, there is the addition of collaboration Widgets that extend a platform that already supports context and groups.

The last area is where we've been working, looking at using a single generic Widget platform based on W3C Widgets (and now also supporting the Google Wave Gadget API) that can be used to add apps to Moodle, Sakai, Elgg, Wordpress (etc). This makes sense as developers can work on making great collaborative apps that work with any contextual container, and platforms like Moodle get a lot of new features for their users without any effort, or any impact on the core system or affecting deployments, libs etc.

In our Moodle integration we've added a Widget Block to add functionality within the Moodle paradigm. So we already have a "Wave compliant" Moodle:

http://zope.cetis.ac.uk/members/scott/blogview?entry=20090601115357

(Download links at the end of the post...)

S

In reply to Phil Nichols

by Michael Glover -
A side of Google Wave that i'm very interested in, is the part in the video they got a couple of images and just drag them from the desktop onto the website and they were uploaded instantly.. No going to Browse.. Upload a file.

Does anyone know if this type of technology is in the pipe line for future release of Moodle.
I think it would make moodle alot more accessible for people. If not Google Wave could be seen a big contender to Moodle.
In reply to Michael Glover

by Skylar Saveland -
http://gearsblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/gears-05210-released.html

that is actually gears-dependent right now so users would have to install....
In reply to Skylar Saveland

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Although there was a line in the Wave launch presentation where they mentioned that they were working to get it into the HTML 5 spec, so there is some hope for getting it more generally available.
In reply to Davo Smith

by Skylar Saveland -
Absolutely, all of the good browsers will be able to do this sort of thing. What about the other browser though? It will be a little while before we can do something like this without a download to the client's machine. Google gears is pretty cool though for now.
In reply to Davo Smith

by Joan Codina Filba -
"google wave" may be open source, but free?
from google documentation, it seems clear that the communications protocol will be free (this means the javascript?) but is patented by google...
the server side implementation may be open source
"Later on, in addition to the protocol, this project will grow to maintain a production-quality reference implementation. Google is working to open source the code behind the Google Wave implementation as a way to bootstrap the community."
so by now is not open source.

And what about contributions.
"
The technology behind Google Wave is licensed under a liberal patent license to help implementers and contributors be comfortable implementing the protocol.

Before we can accept a patch from you, you must sign a Contributor License Agreement
where you

" Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, You hereby grant to Google and to recipients of software distributed by Google a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your Contributions and such derivative works."

So, the owner of the software is Google not the community, google can take your contributions and close them in a "commercial product"

I think that if the W3C got an standard this is the right way to go, if google does not give everything away in a really open source, open standard format, and releases the patents over it in order to allow parallel implementations

Users must be able to install they own wave servers and use being sure that the data keeps away from google.

In reply to Joan Codina Filba

by Hubert Chathi -
The Contributor License Agreement only affects you if you want to submit code to Google for inclusion in their distribution. This is a perfectly valid thing for them to do: they get to set the rules for what code goes into their own distribution. If you don't like their rules, you are free to fork it. Or start your own implementation.

You are not even assigning copyright to them (as you must do when you contribute to software from the Free Software Foundation); you are simply granting them (and anyone else who receives their software) a copyright (and patent) license. So no, Google does not "own" your contributions.

Yes, Google can take your contributions and close them in a "commercial product". And so can anyone else (compare with the BSD license).

P.S. Given that Google Wave is based on XMPP, the XMPP Foundation is probably the more appropriate body to turn this into a standard, rather than the W3C. In fact, given Google's history with the XMPP Foundation, I would not be terribly surprised if this did end up turning into an XEP.

by Joan Codina Filba -
With the GPL , they can not close your contributions,
the GNU project states
"For a program to be GNU software does not require transferring copyright to the FSF; that is a separate question. If you transfer the copyright to the FSF, the FSF will enforce the GPL for the program if someone violates it; if you keep the copyright, enforcement will be up to you."

and Moodle says

"The overall Moodle software package is Copyright © 1999 onwards, Martin Dougiamas with portions contributed/copyrighted by many others (see Credits) and all of it is provided under the terms of the GPL. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version."

At this point Martin can not take the software and close it, without a infringing the GPL for all these portions.
That's an important issue, I give code to moodle under the GPL and when accepted by Martin Dougiamas, then he is not the only owner of the copyright and so, he can not do a dual license..

From the page of wave I undestand that the license there is for the protocol and not for the software, some of the samples are relseaded under the apache 2.0 license..

I think we need to wait.

by Scott Wilson -
Our own Wave Gadget implementation is based entirely on work we did prior to the development of Wave, and doesn't use any Google code at all - it also shows clear prior art for Widgets with shared state and participants.

The idea of live-edited documents is also demonstrated in SubEthaEdit, which is several years old now.

And the protocol for Wave servers is based on XMPP.

So I think the scope for Google to control implementation through patents and licensing is limited.

The card Google holds is that of having a network of systems powerful enough to deliver an implementation with very low latency, which makes the experience they can deliver with their own Wave solution competitive compared to any more open efforts.

S

by Hubert Chathi -
"With the GPL , they can not close your contributions,"
Agreed. However, just because they are able to incorporate your contributions into a proprietary product does not mean that it is not open source or non-free. There is nothing non-free about their Contributor License Agreement (as compared with both the FSF's four freedoms, and the Open Source Definition).

Contributing to an official FSF project does require assigning copyright to them. Maybe not for all of them, but I have had to sign a copyright assignment for Emacs and GNUstep. GCC also requires either a copyright assignment, or placing your contribution in the public domain. See also this page: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html

Also, to address your patent concerns, Google is allowing anyone to "infringe" on any of their patents that are necessary for implementing the Wave protocol, which means that other competing implementations are in the clear.

by Alan Trick -

> The technology behind Google Wave is licensed under a liberal patent license to help implementers and contributors be comfortable implementing the protocol

Actually, that's an interesting point. Since Moodle will be under the GPL 3, this only works as long as Google doesn't engage in any patent shenanigans. To say that a project is "open source" doesn't necessarily mean that much anymore.

In reply to Phil Nichols

by Sandy Pittendrigh -
I tried to at least glance at every post in this thread.
If somebody else already made this point and I missed it......well, sorry about that.

The most powerful potential here--that I see--is Wave or Wave-like services as a
replacement for email. I'm not sure how that effects Moodle. But that sure is
an ambitious direction.

With Wave, email would be a centrally-located document, with a configurable
list of readers and writers, where readers and writers both must be signed up
as system participants. Participants who sign up and abuse the system could be
quickly eliminated. So this wouldn't eliminate spam. But it sure would deal the
spammers a heavy hammer blow. This could be the killer app of all time
for that reason alone.

Getting back to Moodle, Web-Sockets and GWT-like widgets:
Isn't the other big point here more about HTML5 and full-duplex web-sockets
than Wave per-se? Once web-sockets become an established norm,
web-application programming will no longer be more difficult than desktop
application programming. And everything will work that way. Photoshop
and AutoCad will become subscription services that live in the cloud.
Old-fashioned websites that rely on a screen refresh for every communication
event will start to look like 1970s mainframe, green screen text terminals.

In reply to Sandy Pittendrigh

by Matt Bury -
Hi Sandy,

Good points!

Re: "The most powerful potential here--that I see--is Wave or Wave-like services as a
replacement for email. I'm not sure how that effects Moodle. But that sure is
an ambitious direction.

With Wave, email would be a centrally-located document, with a configurable
list of readers and writers, where readers and writers both must be signed up
as system participants."

I think any transition by users from e-mail to the Wave will be slow and probably in (at least) two phases:

#1 Users will continue to use e-mail as their primary port of call and only visit their Waves when they get notifications. In other words, they'll use it in the same way that they do their Facebook, Moodle, LinkedIn, etc. accounts.

#2 Users will gradually get used to using Wave as their primary port of call for web communication mostly because it looks like it'll be much easier to use. Other e-mail service providers, such as Yahoo! and Hotmail (OK, probably not Hotmail as Microsoft will probably try to come up with a competing system and release it five - ten years later), will probably create their own Wave services that are automatically incorporated into existing users' accounts. I think there'll also be a gradual migration from social networking services like Facebook and LinkedIn as more API widgets transfer messages between Wave and other services' APIs.

I also bet there'll be a strong motivation for e-mail providers like Yahoo! to create their own Wave services that support their current advertising models. They won't want to lose yet more of their market share to Google!

There's an interesting point of whether LMSs will incorporate Wave technology as an extension and use it in their present form or whether they'll be incorporated into Wave as e-learning extensions. From a user's point of view, I suspect that the latter would be more intuitive and convenient.

So, as well as thinking about Wave plugins for Moodle, shouldn't we also be thinking about Moodle plugins for Wave? I suspect that there'll be plenty of room for both.
In reply to Matt Bury

by Skylar Saveland -
I have been reading this thread all along and would just say that I think there have been some great points.

Everyone will have to deal with XMPP and distributed services in their own way. html5 will be wonderful for everyone.

>So, as well as thinking about Wave plugins for Moodle, shouldn't we also be thinking about >Moodle plugins for Wave? I suspect that there'll be plenty of room for both.

This is really an excellent point. There will be plenty of room for everyone in both directions and, call me naive, but I really am okay with Google's stated intention of open sourcing the technology. Google in no way has a monopoly though. Anyone can write their own services (and build a huge infrastructure to handle the load...?).

Of course, it will be better to have pure, non-commercial GPL licensing. I suspect it will be similar to using openlayers vs. Google's maps API. Of course, openlayers is morally preferable; but, sometimes Google just has some really nice services that are at worst morally tolerable.

Google is really into open standards. Open standards are the way forward

by Skylar Saveland -
>> Isn't the other big point here more about HTML5 and full-duplex web-sockets
than Wave per-se?

Sandy, a resounding +1.

by A K -
"...subscription services that live in the cloud.
Old-fashioned websites that rely on a screen refresh for every communication
event will start to look like 1970s mainframe, green screen text terminals."

The irony is that web-accessed cloud computing pretty much is 1970s (and 60s) mainframe computing! Albeit the terminals (browsers) aren't quite as dumb - they draw the pictures and do the colouring in. wink The cloud model is clearly heading back in the mainframe direction, though, with the main processing power, storage and applications being central and accessed via remote 'terminals'.
In reply to A K

by Marc Grober -
Bingo, A K,
But hard to explain that to someone under 50-lol
mainframes weren't bad, just too rigid. Even on smallest scale (AS/400) users amazed when provided access to GUI tools and apps enfranchising end user design and increasing productivity.
In reply to A K

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think the real issue here is that there is a definite place for websites that work the way people expect websites to work (ie not like apps). If you're not using something frequently it should not be complicated. Apps are complicated. That's a big reason why the Web was a success initially.

Some people might now be willing to accept a higher degree of complexity, especially for systems that they use very frequently where efficiency is more important than simplicity. But probably not everyone and certainly not for sites they only use occasionally.

For example, Java WebStart is great - you click a link and a full-fledged app loads up directly from the web (and it always keeps itself updated and whatever else, while saving you load time by staying cached on disk when it's the same). Works excellently for something like Elluminate which certainly doesn't need to be in a browser. But let's say I'm searching from an online store to buy a pair of shoes (just something I did recently and the point is, I don't do this very often), if I click a link out of google and the first thing I get is a WebStart request, or any other complicated popup window or weird JavaScript interface, I'm hitting that X button real quick.

--sam
In reply to Phil Nichols

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi all,

Just realised I never actually posted about Wave anywhere yet. I saw the Wave video the first day it was published and was intrigued and amazed like the rest of you. Like most truly lasting advancements, it takes a lot of ideas we are already used to and combines them in a way that is obviously better and more usable.

As to how this affects learning management systems like Moodle, I don't think it will totally replace them (as some have been saying).

Moodle (and similar systems) are (like it or not!) more about the *management* of learning at a higher level than this, a system of control and authentication that supports institutional policy and practice.

However, what I do think will happen is that many of the activities in Moodle will be replaced by services like these. Even in the very short term I can see Waves replacing Wikis and Blogs and Forums all over the place. Not everyone will want to use Google accounts for everything, and not everyone will want to run their own wave servers, but there will be many who do.

In a general way Moodle core will also have to get more and more live and interactive (Flash, HTML 5, etc ...) simply because that's how we all prefer our web software (hence many of the things in our roadmap like truly comprehensive web services and all the things like security etc to support it, so that Moodle can be used as an engine for other things).

Moodle 3 will probably be a complete rewrite around these principles. But first we ... must ... get ... Moodle ... 2.0 ... out ... the door ... !
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Scott Wilson -

Here's an example Moodle site with integrated Wave applications courtesy of the Wookie widget server and moodle block plugin. To try it out yourself live, go to:

http://getwookie.org/moodle/course/view.php?id=6

Username = moodler password = moodler

Example moodle course using Wave Gadgets and Widgets instead of regular moodle blocks
In reply to Scott Wilson

by Dominic Bond -
Hi Scott

Is it possible to for you to make those block available? I work in a school in London and the kids would love them.

You are doing fantastic work mate. Moodle 2.0 and Google Wave are so exciting!
In reply to Dominic Bond

by Scott Wilson -
Its actually just one block - the actual content is rendered by Wookie, which is a standalone open-source Widget engine that supports W3C Widgets and Google Gadgets, and the Wave API.

The block files can be downloaded here:

http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/plugins/

You need to register an API key for the block to get access to our test server; email me at scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com for one.

The actual widget server itself is a Tomcat+MySQL app, and is available from here if anyone wants to give it a go:

http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/builds/

The same system is also integrated with Sakai 3; its a generic way of extending any VLE or similar. (We've also used it with Elgg and Wordpress)

S