I am running Moodle 1.9.5+ on a co-hosted Linux server and can access my database through PHPMyAdmin. Everything seems to be normal, even if I access the site as a guest - obviously with limited functionality.
I have tried different computers and different browsers. No luck. I cannot recall that I have made any changes to user rights recently, which seems to be the most common problems in the forums.
Thanks for the help.
I have asked the server guys to have a look at it. They say they have changed nothing - (having given them your input). I am lost. I have had a look at another installation on another server (same hosting company and they say the two server setups are identical and the moodle versions are the same to).
All I can gather is that it might have something to do with the session timeout or the cookie domain settings (both of which I would not have changed knowingly). Where will these values be stored?
Any other ideas?
I had a similar situation. First check your permissions. The permissions, for both the moodle and moodledata folders, could be set by running;
"sudo chown -R root:root moodle"
"sudo chown -R www-data:root moodledata"
Also, if you imported your SQL db backup into the courses folder (so that it resides in the same folder as your moodle & moodledata folder) after you imported it into your MySQL database you should moove it out of the moodle course folder.
Let me know if this helps.
Thanks for the advice. Tom, I could not do what you proposed as I am on a shared server. It did however set us working again on permissions. What we discovered, how wise or unwise it could be I do not know, was that the session file within the moodledata directory had to be changed from 0775 to 0777 permissions, and all worked fine.
What is a mistery is how it got changed if it was 0777 all along, or, why is it a requirement now. At least I can work again.
My absolute appreciation and heartfelt thanks for posting this. We had exactly the same problem, and your solution solved it in seconds. A right click on the sub folder sessions within mod data folder , changed the file attributes from 0755 to 0777 and I could once again logged in.
The problem occured after we migrated from a windows server to co- hosted linux server.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I would be really really thankful to you for finding this tricky thing about moodle.
As i'm runnig moodle from localhost in a linux environment , i faced the same problem (when i have changed my moodledata directory path) and could not find the solution.
Thanks a lot for your help.
And one more thing to mention:
Do not change the permission on /var directory to place your moodledata directory there (Coz one level up to the moodle (in /www) is /var) .
It will end up leaving you to install your linux OS again..
Coz in /var there are lots of usable security log files and you will not be able to access them..
look at the table mdl_config. What are the last entries in this table. Sometimes there you find the solution...