Embedding audio files in Wiki

Embedding audio files in Wiki

by Françoise Blin -
Number of replies: 9
I am planning to use the Wiki module to construct aural comprehension activities for language learning. My idea is to provide students with a short recording of a lecture, letter, etc. and to ask them to collaboratively reconstruct the text.

To start off, I tried to attach a small MP3 file but it does not accept it. So I uploaded the file in the course files directory and created a link to it from the introduction (so that students don't delete it by accident...). It works fine but the flash buttons do not appear as they do in postings or whatever.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Françoise
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Françoise Blin

Re: Embedding audio files in Wiki

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The media filters aren't active in the wiki currently... This was to fix problems with the attachments display.

What problems did you have uploading the attachment? It should have worked.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Françoise Blin -
I was experimenting on our development site, which I use to try out new modules before integrating them into my 'real' courses.

I finally managed to attach the mp3 file but I can't open it, nor does the internal link work ([internal://proviseur.mp3])

I have also uploaded the file in 'files' and put the following link:

[enregistrement|]

This works but I don't get the flash buttons.

Not sure if this is very clear... Our 'real' site has just been upgraded to Moodle 1.4. I'll try there too...

Françoise

by Françoise Blin -
weird... the buttons appeared here... Perhaps our latest version is the problem.

F.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I can see that the Media Plugins filter is enabled on that DCU server so I'm not sure what it could be.

See this documentation page for an example.

It's nearly perfect but the actual flash button doesn't work, I think because the URL passed as a paramter has been encoded ... Mike, is this easy to fix?  I'm guessing not - maybe it's easier to fix the Flash file to accept encoded parameters ...

by Françoise Blin -
Thanks Martin.

I'll pass this on to Denis and I'll try to see if it works on the 'real' DCU server.

Françoise

by Françoise Blin -
Okay, I tried on our 'real' server, not the development site server, and I now get the Flash buttons. But as Martin noticed, the buttons don't work.

Re: my problem with attachments, well, it looks like it won't accept MP3 files I upload from the Edit page as opposed to the Attachment one. However, if I upload a file through the attachment page, no problem.

I actually think that the option to upload a file from the Edit page is a bit confusing. Files seems to be uploaded somewhere else, and I am not too sure where... Is this really needed?

Anyway, I love the Wiki module and I can't wait to have my students using it (our semester starts in two weeks)

All the best,

Françoise

by Mike Churchward -
You mean because of the 'binary:internal://' thing right? I'll have to look into that.

mike

by Mike Churchward -
Yep. You're right of course. I answered too fast without thinking...

We took the filters out of the attachment page. That was what I was thinking of.