Events API Still Valid?

Events API Still Valid?

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
We have done a lot of development using the Events API, and I now see that the Moodle Docs for this has it flagged as "obsolete" (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Events).

Can we count on this remaining in core?

mike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Events API Still Valid?

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Events are not obsoleted, only that page is wink
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Okay. That's good.

Is there a reason the page is? Is there another page that describes the API?

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Mostly just the examples are obsolete. The Events API is not.

I'll update the page with better examples.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

by Matt Gibson -
Ah-ha, this is the same as Drupal's hooks system. I was hoping something like this would appear.

Is there any spec for the way it will be expanded in future? I'm thinking that it would be great to have it as part of the forms API so that fields could be added and removed by modules e.g. adding a new admin setting or user profile field. It would make core hacking a lot cleaner.
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Martin Dougiamas -
I agree that would be nice but I really can't see how that could work as part of our events API (which has been in Moodle since 1.9, by the way)... perhaps this is an entirely different API.

Could you expand on how you think that would work?

by Sven Trümper -
It seems all events are fired AFTER (post) the action was complleted (course created,...)
Is there a way to create some kind of pre-event-hook.. some stuff that will be done before the action starts?

Some weeks ago i was looking for something like that... no success. Solved the problem another way... .. .anyway.

S.