Moderating a Quiz

Moderating a Quiz

by Marcel Berteler -
Number of replies: 4
I realy enjoy this module, the only thing I don't realy get is how or if I can change/moderate a students work.
My main problem is the "short answer" questions. Some students do give the correct answare only Moodle doesn't rate it as correct, because they did not use the correct word(s).
How can I manualy assign a mark for this question and let Moodle do the rest of the marks calculation.

An other thing is the fact that we have to print out the filled-in answers for later moderation. (can't help it )
Currently the correct answers are marked in yellow and if we print this on our B/W printer, the yellow is gone....

Maybe we could use a box around the correct answer to make it printable, or even better, a comprehensive printable version.

It just accured to me, that if I view the filled-in answers, the name (and student numbner) are not on the page. I think we have to add that as well to make it printer friendly smile

I have posted this same message in the Activity Modules forum:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1225
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcel Berteler

Re: Moderating a Quiz

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Marcel wrote: My main problem is the "short answer" questions. Some students do give the correct answare only Moodle doesn't rate it as correct, because they did not use the correct word(s).

I have filed this in the bug tracker - see http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=233

It will surely get fixed, we only have to wait until Martin has retired, or somebody else has picked it up. big grin
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This won't be fixed - there's nothing to fix!

The whole point of the short-answer questions is that they are for very short answers (eg one word) and that they are automatically marked. You need to phrase the question clearly and provide all possible answers.

I would say that the example in bug 233 is not the best use of this question type.

Now, what you fellows need is the "Long Answer" question type, where the student can answer any amount of text (from a word to several paragraphs), and the teacher must grade them manually. Unfortunately this doesn't exist yet in Moodle but has been on the plans since the Quiz module was started.

To make quizzes more printer friendly you can change all the colours, borders etc by changing the style sheet.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
You're right, the example in bug 233 is not the best use of this question type. I'll try with another one. One of the classes I teach is British Life, Institutions and Culture. Imagine a question "Who's the monarch of the UK at the moment?" What is the answer? "Elizabeth II", of course. It is a short answer question. As a designer, I can feed in alternative answers such as "Queen Elizabeth II", "Queen Elizabeth the Second", and "Elizabeth the Second". But I may simply not predict that some students will write "Elizabeth Windsor". A feature to add more alternative answers and regrade the quiz post-factum would be a great time-saver compared to using "long-answer" question type that would have to be graded manually.

Cheers,
Przemek
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by P. Timothy Ervin -
You may have already reached a conclusion on this, but I believe you can do just what you have stated by editing the quiz and then re-grading the posted answers. I have read through student's answers and found that several of them were answering, say "Queen Elizabeth the Second," but nobody was answering "Elizabeth the Second," so I revised the possible answers and then re-graded the tests. Your problem will still exist if you run out of space for possible answers, but I do believe that this will work for most situations.

Cheers,
ptervin