1.8.5 to 1.9.5 - gradebook faqs

1.8.5 to 1.9.5 - gradebook faqs

von Elena Ivanova -
Anzahl Antworten: 5
Just sharing some FAQs that can come up if you are doing an upgrade. Some of the items can possibly relate to the upgrade from 1.9+ to 1.9.5.
Add yours! lächelnd

Q1: I had a hidden activity on the course homepage, and the grade was correspondingly hidden in the gradebook. Now I see that the assignment is still hidden on the home page, but the grade is not hidden in the gradebook anymore.

Changes have been made to the code, so you may now have a visible assignment but a hidden grade in the gradebook, or vice-versa. Because of that, if you want to hide both the assignment and the grade column in the gradebook, you will need to take 2 steps: hide the assignment, and then go to the gradebook and hide the column.
Developers are working on improving this for the future versions.

Q2: Why are there some extra empty categories in my upgraded gradebook? I didn’t have them before.

This means that you have created the category previously at some point in time but have not used it in any calculations (i.e., have not put any gradable items in it). Therefore, it was still sitting there “silently,” not influencing anything.
To remove the unneeded category, go to Administration block > Grades > click Categories and Items tab, and then click "Delete" icon near the name of the category.

Q3: I had a non-graded forum (glossary) before and it was not listed in the gradebook, but now I can see it in the gradebook. Why?

You probably had some grades there temporarily and then switched back to the non-graded option.
To remove the grade item for this forum from the gradebook, go to Administration block > Grades > click Categories and Items tab, and then click "Delete" icon near the name of the forum.

Q4: Previously I was able to remove some grades or categories from my own view by hiding them and then changing Show Hidden Grades in the course Settings to No. Now all hidden grades are being displayed on the Grader report, so it is too large and I have scroll a lot. How do I remove them?

You can put all of the grades that you do not want to see in a separate sub-category (use Categories and Items tab in the gradebook) and then go to the Grader report, and click the minus icon near the name of that category. It will collapse the category to one column, since it will switch the view to show “aggregates only” (total) of it.

Q5: After the upgrade it looks like my students got a higher % than they actually did (the numeric total is correct, but the % is too high)

Please review the Categories and Items interface. Most likely the Extra credit box is now checked there for your sub-categories. Simply uncheck the box and click Save changes. The display of the percentages will be back to normal.

Q6: After the upgrade it looks like my students got fewer total points than they actually did (the % total is correct, but the points total is lower)

Please review the Categories and Items interface. If you scroll down, you will see that Course Total is set to scale down to 100 points. You can manually type in the correct number of points, so the total will not scale down anymore, or switch the aggregation method for your course total to Sum of grades.

Q7: I have hidden the grade item/column, but the total still includes it in the calculation, so my students can figure out what grade they have there (I use SUM or SWM)

At this point of time, it is not possible to remove hidden grades from the aggregation of the total if you use those 2 methods. However, there is an easy fix:
Use hidden categories in the gradebook and assign a weight of 0 to the category with all of your hidden items.
- Set the aggregation method for the Course Total to “Weighted mean of grades”
- Create 2 new categories.
- Put your hidden items in one of them and hide this Category.
- Put the rest of the items into the second category.
- Use the Weight interface and type 0 for your hidden category (and 1 for your “real” second category)
This way, your students and you will always see the Course Total, which does not include any hidden grades.

P.s. We have locally developed 2 new controls for the Settings page which allows instructors to set “Show course total” to Hide, for both the Overview and the User reports. I can post the code in tracker.
Als Antwort auf Elena Ivanova

Re: 1.8.5 to 1.9.5 - gradebook faqs

von Kathy Cannon -
Elena, This is such a thorough, highly usable summary of some key challenges to understanding what happens to a gradebook after upgrade... and of how to manage gradebook in a sensible way. THANK YOU. (Sorry I shouted that.) tongueout
Als Antwort auf Elena Ivanova

von Brian Pool -
I have been waiting to upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9 and was planning on doing so this summer. It sounds like there may still be too many unresolved issues.

1. Is there a patch to make hidden items hidden in the gradebook (view and calculations)? I realize that I can categorize them, make them 0 weight, and then collapse them...but...that is too many steps for a teacher to remember, and the gradebook still gets too wide. For a high school teachers with 4 quarters, and then categories inside those quarters, we are still talking about quite a mess. If they were just hidden (like in 1.8) it would be too easy. I know most people on this forum would have no problem...but we are not average users...not to mention my below average ones.

2. Reference 1...is there a patch to make the gradebook more user friendly? I really want to upgrade (mainly for the outcomes) but I am worried I will lose 50% of my users!\

Brian

PS Thanks for the post.
Als Antwort auf Brian Pool

von Marty Watson -
I agree, couldn't there be a way to view only a certain category, like you can switch views of groups in a drop down list or tab?
Als Antwort auf Brian Pool

von Anthony Borrow -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers
Brian - What you are asking for seems pretty focused. Is there an issue in the tracker for what you are looking for. If so, let me know so that I can take a look. Peace - Anthony