Scrolling student essay div in feedback for online text assignments

Scrolling student essay div in feedback for online text assignments

by Matt Gibson -
Number of replies: 7
I've just talked to some teachers and found that they are unhappy with the way that marking an online text assignment means scrolling the pop-up up and down all the time to write comments (if comment-inline is off). I've made a patch that alters the layout of the pop up window a little so that space is conserved and have made it so that the student essay div at the bottom now has a fixed height and scrolls on it's own, meaning that the pop up doesn't need to.

MDL-19240 has the patch. Comments and feedback appreciated smile
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matt Gibson

Re: Scrolling student essay div in feedback for online text assignments

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Matt,

Sounds useful. Do you have an example screenshot?
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Matt Gibson -
Whoops, totally forgot that. Here's one, showing just the insides of the pop-up. I've moved all the bits and pieces to below the HTML editor to save on whitespace being lost, leaving more room for the scrolling div below. The table is gone, with everything in divs now and I removed the picture of the teacher doing the grading as it seemed a bit redundant - I know who I am.
Attachment new_grading_interface.JPG
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Alan Arnold -
great improvement - voted for it.
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Sue Demoor -
Looks good, Thanks. Voting for it.
In reply to Sue Demoor

by Ray Lawrence -
I'm not sure about this. Firstly I'd be interested in feedback on the accessibility aspects.

I wouldn't favour moving the "bits and pieces" in this way unless this change was applied to the other assignment types (where it makes less sense IMO).
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Matt Gibson -

The way the code works, the change has to be applied to all types or none as it's a sinlge function that processes them all (display_submission() in the assignment_base class). I tested the patch with the other types and although it's not so necessary for them, it doesn't break anything as far as I can tell.

As far as accessibility goes, I assumed that screen readers would be fine as the text content hasn't changed. I also found a comment here suggesting that overflow like this was an essential accessibility feature so that the page layout doesn't get wrecked when the font size is increased, so it may be an improvement.

Definitely agree that feedback is needed.