Moodle packet sizes

Moodle packet sizes

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
Number of replies: 6

We received a strange/stupid request from our IT department to reduce all the network packets coming from our Moodle installation to less than 40kb! Is this possible?

I have a) enabled IIS Compression and b) enabled the output_compression option in my php.ini file:

zlib.output_compression = On
zlib.output_compression_level = 6

Is there anything else I can do to reduce the packet sizes?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

Re: Moodle packet sizes

by Henning Bostelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Did the IT department say "network packets" (literally) or rather "HTTP response size" or "HTML page size"?

(The size of network packets is nothing that is controlled by Moodle, it can be limited on the operating system side. But 40 kB for network packets seems an unreasonably large number.)
In reply to Henning Bostelmann

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
Thay say, "It would apply to the amount of data traversing the network from the application per transaction. That would mean that the size of the page made up from various packets needs to equate to 40Kb."

by Henning Bostelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, then it very much depends on how you measure. Their request seems pretty much ill-defined to me.

If referring to the HTML page itself, it is very unlikely that the (compressed) transferred data is ever larger than 40 kByte. In fact, I'd rather expect something around 10-20 kByte when using HTTP compression. However, it might not be trivial to actually measure this in your system! (If you look at the page in your web browser, you'll always see the size of the uncompressed data.)

If "transaction" refers to the HTML page including all graphics, Javascript files, stylesheets, etc., then 40 kByte is a rather unreasonable limit. (Show me any realisitc web site that stays below these 40 kByte, including graphics - you'll have a hard time finding one.) However, the graphics and stylesheets are not downloaded each time the user requests a page; but usually only once per session. So should one refer to the "average" data transfer? (And how is this measured?)

Also, a transaction might well include the download of a file (say PDF or so). Since I suppose that you have files larger than 40 kByte on your Moodle, one cannot impose a 40 kByte limit for such transactions. Again, this has nothing to do with Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Possibly both strange and stupid smile

I guess we need a bit more information on this one. What are they hoping to achieve and/or what is the problem they are hoping to fix?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
I was wrong to use the "packet size" term. That's not the problem. The "problem" is, as per my response to Henning, that they don't want the amount of data that is sent to and from the server/user to exceed 40kb per transaction. They say that anything bigger puts "unreasonable strain on the network resources" or something like that...

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You can't have it bothways. Either you offer content or you save your resources.

A typical Teacher has rich content. It is normal practice they upload files in the region of 1 - 20 MB. 40 kB is way below that.