Embedding quiz in book module

Embedding quiz in book module

by Phil Riopelle -
Number of replies: 19

I know that there is a way to link a quiz from the book module…

Is there a way to embed a quiz within a book?

help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phil Riopelle

Re: Embedding quiz in book module

by Art Lader -
Hi, Phil,

I just tried inserting a quiz into a book using an iframe and it worked for me. You might want to play around with that a bit.

Maybe someone else will have a better solution, though! smile

Regards,
Art

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Art Lader

by Phil Riopelle -

Thanks Art! It works!

Now its just a matter of customizing it.

If anyone needs the code it's:

<iframe src ="QUIZ_link.html" width="100%" height="300">
  <p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>
</iframe>

Any other solutions are welcomed.

Average of ratings: Useful (6)

by Art Lader -

I am happy it worked out for you, Phil.

It was nice of you to post the markup, too.

Happy Moodling. smile

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by xavier laurent -

Hi

Are you talking about a quiz made in Moodle? or just using an external tool. If you embed the quiz with an iframe it will embed the full moodle webpage again in the book. Is there anyway we can just display the quiz done in moodle inside the book?

Xav

In reply to xavier laurent

by Carl Hodkinson -

I came across this very thought a while ago and after much to'ing and fro'ing decided to  use a lesson activity instead - http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Lesson_module.

The structure can be made to be similar to a Book in that each page can be navigable using a table of contents with forward and back buttons. Unlike the Book though, you can have a question (there are various types) on each page (if you wanted a quiz, have a number of pages together). You can also have branching within the activity based on the answers to these question so personalisation of content is possible. While I do have to admit that the lesson is not quite as slick as a book, it is an extremely flexible tool when delivering content as questions can be asked at key points to aid student understanding so it could very well be an option for you.

Hope that helps

Carl

by Dom F -

Hi I tried this and... well yes it works in that it places the quiz into a frame but it places the entire webpage, moodle header and all into the (ideally) small quiz(let) window.

Are there any "refinements" for this? I long for a solution to havinf a short INLINE quick quix, in the topics not in a ghetto link at the bottom

Any suggestions hugely welcome. The closest I can get is embeding a google quiz instead but that seems a waste (and of course isnt recorded in any gradebook)

Thanks

Dom

In reply to Dom F

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Dom,

what if you think the other direction? Add the book content as text description between quiz questions and pages. Or use the lesson module.

ralf

by Matt Fedorko -

The Book activity, to me, is a much needed strip down of the Lesson activity.

I have a lot of experience with the Lesson activity, and have aired my frustrations multiple times. The fact is, no one on the development side of the coin is interested in pursuing any improvements in the Lesson module, and frankly I don't think they should. It's cluttered and clumsy and filled with oblique settings and behaviors. I wish I didn't have whole courses built out of them.

I think a far superior option would be to have someone on the Book development side look into how to allow questions from the Question Bank to be inserted direclty into Books in the same manner that they're inserted into Quiz pages.

Imagine that in addition to inserting a chapter or a subchapter, you could add a question page. When you click the "Add a question" button, you are given a variant on the "quiz building" screen, which would allow you to see the question bank. The page that would appear in the Book's content section would look like a page from a quiz. Maybe you could limit it so that there could only be 3 questions per page, or something, and allow the student to easily skip them should they want to (for reviewing materials later on, for instance).

The singular advantage I see to this approach vs. how the Lesson behaves, is that you can easily create sets of questions that are usable for practice right beside sets of questions for assessment, INSIDE the Question Bank. As it is right now, questions inside Lessons are created in different formats, they live only in the Lesson itself, and have different settings compared to questions in Quizzes -- none of the improvements in the question engine from Moodle 2.0 are reflected in the Lesson activity. If I want to use the same type of question twice or change it later, I have to make it twice and change it twice (one in the QB, once in the Lesson). 

Imagine creating a set of 5 great assessment/quiz questions, and being able to duplicate all 5 and modify the numbers or phrasing. In 10 minutes you've made 5 great practice questions that can be embedded right beside the content that teaches the concept.

I have never included Lessons in the Gradebook, and think it's not a feature I personally would ever use, so I don't necessarily see it as being useful in a Book version of the same functionality. For instance, it would seem very easy to implement only one set of what are currently quiz behaviors so that all questions in Books behave like, for instance, "Interactive with Multiple Tries" quiz questions, so that they're clearly interactive, multiple try, learning experiences, that the student can CHOOSE to engage with, without fear of point based retribution or risk.

They could be skipped or included as part of the "Print book" functionality. 

I don't have the staff or the personal knowledge to implement this type of thing, but if it weren't for the Lesson activity's ability to pose interactive questions to students and the Book's lack of same, I would be using Books all of the time to present content.

Thanks for listening to me rant!

Average of ratings: Useful (7)
In reply to Matt Fedorko

by Brendan Lalor -

I left Moodle some years back for PRECISELY this reason. As someone who teaches in the humanities and still believes there's something to texts, on the one hand, AND there's also something to the gamifying immediate feedback of reading quizzes, on the other hand, I am rather dumbfounded that not Moodle, not Canvas, nor any of the other LMS platforms I've investigated offer this seemingly basic functionality.

I used WordPress smashingly on the presentation side of things. However, quiz tracking was so impractical as WordPress doesn't have any good gradebook implementation that I've found.

Is there any chance that SOMEONE knows where in Moodle World (or outside of it) there is anything like this (reading quizzes embedded in reading)? It is so basic and obvious that I assume I'm just missing it.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Brendan Lalor

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is not a single simple answer, but there are some options:

1. The Moodle lesson module lets you combine content and questions to build a learning activity.

2. People have considered writing a filter so that questions can be embedded in any content. See MDL-17314 and https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=110909, but that is not really finished yet.

3. Other people have built other ways do to this. The only one I know is the OU's oucontent module, which we have not shared (yet).

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Fedorko -

Tim,

Thanks for the comment.

Regarding number 2, as you say, "not really finished yet." But interesting.

Regarding number 3, I would be very interested to hear more about OU's oucontent module.

I think my reply to number one is pretty well articulated in the original response, or any of the numerous posts I've made in the last 3 years expressing discontent with, or befuddlement with the Lesson activity's seemingly nonsensical settings and configuration. If I'm wrong about that, lemme sum it all up, and repeat myself: "Lessons are horrible, and I wish I didn't have whole courses built out of them."

After my post above, I did exchange some messages with the people in charge of the Book module development. I proposed the idea of a separate activity called an Interactive Book that would accomplish essentially what I outlined above. Their response wasn't encouraging, and mentioned that the question of including that type of functionality came up during the Book's development, but was removed in favor of straight content presentation.

I don't want to get too pedagogical, but that attitude severely hampers learning by limiting student-to-content interactivity. The Book is clean and easy to use, and presents information very nicely. But presenting information is not teaching. If there was a way to add interactivity, it would be a powerful teaching tool.

Again, I don't have the knowledge or the manpower to do this myself. But I figure if I keep being annoying about it, someone somewhere will think it's a good idea. I might write up a design document at some point as a bump.

Thanks again...

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Matt Fedorko

by Beatriz Rojo -

Matt, Tim and Brendan,

I totally agree with you and will find it great if the Book implements the possibility of adding quiz questions and becoming interactive.

Some people suggested me to replace the lesson with a quizz with interactive question behaviour, but I like the navigation/content bar of the lesson and the book module. I don't think there are just 3 people wishing this feature.

Regards,

Beatriz.

In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Robin Young -
Beatriz, Matt, Tim and Brendan

At least four people now!

I have read the above posts with great interest.  I have a couple of courses I've written in Moodle Book with the idea that students had an online textbook to study and support what we were doing at school.  The flexibility with media types I understood at the time to mean "interactive" but then I was new to teaching and learning and now realise that this is just a different mode of delivery of content.

So when talking about interactive, we really mean that the student interacts with the knowledge and constructs meaning from it. When I read a text, I realise that I now ask my own questions during this process to make sense of what I am reading.  This is a skill that has taken me many years to develop but is made considerably more efficient by having the author or expert pose the questions as many do in any decent textbook.  

Formative assessment works well when a student then has immediate feedback on their constructs of meaning.  Moodle does this in various ways.  The book provides content, lessons provide a delivery of content through a web of choices (basic questions) and quizzes give the tutor the chance to elaborate excellent resources and foster a robust remote environment for guided learning.  

I suppose you could argue that what glues this all together then is the moodle course page itself and the learner can flip in and out of the activities.

But wouldn't it be nice to have self assessment questions and reading quizzes embedded in the book activity so that you don't have to leave the book to take a quick test to see how well you're doing?

Alternatively, is there not a simple way of bringing all these activities together in a sequential and seamless fashion so that the learner is unaware that they are flipping in and out and from one activity to another? Maybe that would be the solution - a navigation tool that reads a half chapter of the book, takes the user to a reading quiz and (wish list here!) depending on their score or confidence level, go back to another part pf the book or continue to the next book section.

Moodle seems to be on the verge of creating a very powerful tool for learning.  All the bits seem to be there already ... they just need to be joined up in a way that the learner is unaware of or responsible for how they are taken between activities and can therefore concentrate on the important bit; learning process itself.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Robin Young

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi there,

You can insert Hot Potatoes exercises into Book just as you can any other HTML page. The answers are scored but they are not integrated into the Gradebook as they are through the HotPot Module and TaskChain.

I no longer use Moodle so I can't give you access to a live exercise but I've attached a couple of screenshots.  They way I did it was to have the exercise appear in a separate window. After doing the exo, the student clicks on "Close this window" and is returned to the Book. lIf anyone's interested I can provide detailed instructions.

You could also use TaskChain to alternate between HTML "content" pages and Hot Potatoes exercises - see Alan Hess's Stories for Learning.

Cheers,

Glenys

Attachment Hot Potatoes exercises in Book.gif
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Beatriz Rojo -

Thanks Glenys, this is also a good idea! I think I can figure out how did you do it. If I have difficulties, I will post here again.

Regards,

Beatriz.

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Matt Fedorko -

Thanks, Glenys. That's pretty interesting. I'll be looking into it for sure. Brendan posted something else in a separate discussion about using Wordpress and LTI to do something similar, but I'm not sure if he actually pursued that. It would be worth trying if you're interested in splitting your systems, or already have -- something we've done, and something I regret.

I was very surprised to come back to this page and see people responding to my original posts. Sometimes I feel like a little yapping dog in the dark, you know? Hahaha...I posted a similar long-winded, "oh, why doesn't he just stop?" rant over in the Lessons vs. Quizzes thread (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=207365), which just summarizes my feelings that the Question Bank (even without the improvements that are slated for 2.8, I think, or maybe they're in 2.7 -- we're still on 2.6) is a great tool, or more generally the question types plugins. 

When I move between Questionnaires, Quizzes, and Lessons, it just gets me rankled that I have these questions stored in 3 different formats, and fixing that problem, it seems to me, would be the same as figuring out how to use quiz questions in the Book activity. So I have my pedagogical gripes (see posts above), and I have my "isn't this just annoying?!" gripes.

But Tim's post still holds true, as far as I know -- there's been no movement on the Tracker issue he mentioned, and I've seen nothing to indicate the (great and wonderful) dev group is doing anything in this arena. 

What I have seen is discussions about things like Survey 2 that are still on the path of storing unique question types inside the Activity itself, which is just more of the same as far as I'm concerned. 

But beggars can't be choosers, and if I was serious about it I would get my boss to pay someone to do something about it, or learn PHP and start staying up late.

Thanks, everyone!

EDITED TO ADD: Just found this: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Lesson_activity_module_2 Looking at it now. 

In reply to Matt Fedorko

by Ryan Archer -

I'm a moodle noob to books and I share the frustration. I tried using the Moodle Lesson and activity Modules but I really don't like the implementation of them, so I'm guessing my team won't either.

Anyone up for crowdfunding exercise to be able to get quiz questions easily into book content? I have used Janison (http://www.janison.com.au/) way back a while ago and there was a way to get Moodle quiz questions embedded in content easily enough.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

This may not be what you want, but the Games module allows you to create a "Book with Questions."  You build your book, build your quiz questions and then add the game activity.  You have the option to use a specific quiz or to select from the quiz bank.  The questions don't show upon specific pages, they would have to find the right answer, as I recall (I don't use it, but had to write instructions for some people on its use, so it has been a while).  Games is a bit weird...but it has some interesting bits.  You could even orphan the book and the quiz and participants would only see the game.  Might be worth a look.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)