Hidden certificate dependent on a lesson

Hidden certificate dependent on a lesson

by Ângelo Rigo -
Number of replies: 12
Hi

Is it possible to create a certificate with visibility hidden and make it activity dependent on a Lesson.

I try but if the certificate is visible the student can get the certificate, (even if dependent on a lesson)

If the certificate is not visible the student at the end of the lesson click on the certificate link but the message is sorry you can not access this activity at this moment.

Maybe i am missing some step in the lesson or certificate configuration!?.

Thank´s in advance
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ângelo Rigo

Re: Hidden certificate dependent on a lesson

by Deva Ludwig -
I have run into the same problem. What did you do to fix this?

thank you!

In reply to Deva Ludwig

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I suppose you could put the certificate in an extra topic section of its own at the bottom of your course, get its url and hyperlink to it in the last page of your lesson and then go to your course settings and set your course to one topic fewer so the certificate is not on the page - it won't be hidden with the eye as such so should be accessible via the link.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Scot Wilcoxon -
That might work until someone fixes Moodle so it cleans up such inaccessible stuff (technically called "garbage collection"). So don't publish any such lessons because they can be expected to break eventually. For that matter, it might be impossible to publish them because they might not get backed up properly.

If a lesson has such a non-member component, it might not get backed up. So if the server crashes and lessons have to be loaded from backups, all your certificate non-activities may be gone.
In reply to Scot Wilcoxon

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Garbage collection! I've never heard the unseen topics called that beforesmile What do you mean by non-member component/non-activities? You mean the link to an item not on the course page itself? Very interesting comments thanks!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Scot Wilcoxon -
It depends upon whether a course is defined as only the topics which are defined as being part of the course. If a course has 10 topics, then is an 11th topic part of the course?

Any code which selects based on the course's ID might find 11 topics. But code which manipulates the number of defined topics won't see the 11th topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_collection_(computer_science)
In reply to Scot Wilcoxon

by phil walley -

I was just congratulating myself on finding a simple but effective solution to linking to hidden items, but found I was beaten to it by a couple of weeks sad

Anyway, I thought I'd test the backup and restore using this system and it seems to work fine for me. That is ALL items were backedup whether they were in a visible section or not.

I hope you guys find this useful. Incidentally, does anyone know whether it is possible to make a certificate dependent on ANY 3 out of 10 lessons (for example)? This would be extremely useful to me, so any kind of information on this would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to Ângelo Rigo

by Ruth Noordijk -
Hi All,
I'm relatively new to Moodle and with regards to this topic, I am trying to get the same result. I have tried to use the instruction the Lesson Dependency trick 1 from Certificate module documentation, which says;
  • Create a Certificate activity. Hide it.
  • Create a lesson. We will call it "Certificate Qualification". This is the lesson that needs to be passed to get a certificate. We might add questions to this lesson as a means to automatically determine that student qualifies for a certificate.
  • Create another lesson. We will call it "Certificate Gateway". In lesson settings make it dependent upon the "Certificate Qualification". For example we might say a student must answer 80% of the questions correctly. Still in lesson setting go to the link to activity setting and link it to Certificate.
This works except that when a student qualifies for the certificate, in the second lesson, it shows the message "Congratulations, you have passed etc." but when trying to open the certificate "Sorry, this activity is currently hidden". What am I doing wrong?

Is there a setting or something that I have missed? It is important that the student can't see the activity, because it is not grade dependent.
In reply to Ruth Noordijk

by Mary Cooch -
Well you could try putting the certificate in the way I mentioned in the post on 18 August above - it won't tell them it is hidden that way.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nathan Oliver -
That method works. I can vouch for it. Thanks for posting it.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ruth Noordijk -
Thanks! I have followed your method and it works. Re the concerns on backup. I have backed the course up and and restored it as another course and didn't lose the extra topic. Much appreciated!