'Dead' files in CVS

'Dead' files in CVS

by Matt Campbell -
Number of replies: 1
I've been grabbing MOODLE_19_MERGED from CVS to look at the latest gradebook changes. Now that MOODLE_195 is out I'll switch over to it, but I noticed that I was getting a double-listing of the contents of Site Admin->Reports. So I went to /admin/settings and found a report.php in that folder, which I don't see on my 1.9.4 sites.

So I browsed through CVS and notice that there is a report.php in this location in MOODLE_19_MERGED, but not in MOODLE_194, MOODLE_195, MOODLE_19_STABLE, or MOODLE_19_WEEKLY. When I look for dead files, I see that report.php was removed from the branch 5 months ago (and on some, it has never existed).

So my question mostly comes from curiosity about how CVS works - shouldn't report.php also be deleted from MOODLE_19_MERGED? If not, why?

Should I have grabbed a different tag to get the gradebook changes before they were released, or is it just part of living on the edge?

Thanks,
Matt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Campbell

Re: 'Dead' files in CVS

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

MOODLE_*_MERGED is a tag, not a branch, and IMHO should not be used to install, track or update Moodle. It's a developer 'hack' to overcome some CVS limitations with repeated merges of the same two branches. So if you use it, you can end up with a non-functional setup (like you do).

Saludos. Iñaki.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)