Moodle on 64-bit machine - HP BL460

Moodle on 64-bit machine - HP BL460

by HJWUCGA INC. -
Number of replies: 3
Hi everyone,

Would I have any problems installing moodle on a 64 bit blade server? Specially SuSE Linux Enterprise 10 on an HP BL460? I'm going to have 32 GB of ram and partition the drives on a SAN for OS and Moodle, moodledata, and MySQL.

thank you and thoughts?

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

Re: Moodle on 64-bit machine - HP BL460

by Jordan Zebor -
Hardware platform does not make a difference. As long as the operating system supports the PHP modules needed you are good to go. I can confirm that Moodle will work on SLED10 along with OpenSuSE 11.1
In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by François Marier -

The only thing you should be aware of with respect to 64 bit machines is that PHP uses a LOT more memory when run in 64-bit mode. Which means that you cannot serve as many users with the same amount of memory.

A 64-bit machine is much better for things like SSL and databases, but we tend to use 32-bit web servers.

With respect to your SAN, I'm not sure exactly what you plan to do, but I'd keep the OS and the Moodle code on the main server hard disk, it should be faster.

Cheers,
Francois
In reply to François Marier

by HJWUCGA INC. -
Thank you for your comment. Yes, it would be partitioned. the os and moodle on the same, moodledata on another and mysql on another.