Wiki & Groups Help Please

Wiki & Groups Help Please

by Loreta Kocovska -
Number of replies: 4
Hi, I'd  like to setup 1 wiki per group, there are 5 groups in my class, therefore, 5 wikis. However, I don't know how to setup the security when creating a wiki for each group. For example; I need each group to edit their wiki only.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Loreta Kocovska

Re: Wiki & Groups Help Please

by Linda Harrison -
An extremely helpful grid on this one - click on the ? (help with this type) next to Type in the wiki setup - for what you describe, I think you will want to select Groups at Type and, lower down, Visible Groups at Group Mode - but if you don't want them to see the others as well you need Separate Groups.
In reply to Linda Harrison

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Is your class already in a group? Then you will have to set up groupings and put each group of 5 people in your class into a grouping. Have alook in the docs for groupings smile
In reply to Loreta Kocovska

by karle olalde -
yes, how said others, you must make groups in your course and them you can add some activities separately for each group and Wiki too.
Regards. Karle
In reply to karle olalde

by Sally Mack -

Hi,

I have found Separate Group Forums quite useful for this purpose too, and a lot simpler to use.

I got the students to email me the names of the group, and when I had them all set up an Excel spreadsheet with the groupname and description which contained the names, saved it as a .csv files and then uploaded the csv file into the course using the Import function.

Then all that has to be done is add the individuals to their groups. I've attached a starter file with one dummy group in it for you to add your groups. It will save all the to-ing and fro-ing between screens.

Once the students are in their groups you set up a separate groups forum, and either get them to start a discussion in their private group and not the course group, or start the discussion for them so they don't accidentally start one for the whole class group.

When you have a separate groups forum, a box with drop downs appears in the top left of the area where you add a discussion.  

Cheers,

Sally Mack