Allow students to review submitted answer choices in Lessons

Allow students to review submitted answer choices in Lessons

by Elena Ivanova -
Number of replies: 10
I have searched forum posts and it looks like this suggestion came up several times through the past years.
It would be really nice to develop a possibility for students to:
- Take a lesson, and then
- Go back and review their own answers, like in quizzes
At this point of time they are forced to retake the lesson from scratch. sad

Basically in quizzes "Review Attempt" = take a look at what you have answered; and in lessons "Review the lesson" = retake. It seems to be relatively straightforward, since instructor view already includes detailed stats report for every user who took the lesson.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: Allow students to review submitted answer choices in Lessons

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Elena,
Thanks for your posts with suggestions. Have you discovered Tracker (explained in MoodleDocs) or used Tracker (the link to). Developers with various interests will see your suggestion. And also you can explain your suggestion here and put a voting link to the tracker item (sort of a survey) for people to clickon.

Best Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Chris,
Yep, I use the Tracker too. But I wanted to run the idea through the community first. Plus, there is always a possibility that someone already done this locally wide eyes

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Eleana,
Glad you use tracker. Guess if I was not so lazy I might have searched to see if you had posted anything there. Sometimes my comments are also meant to be read by those who wander through.

As you also probably know, Joseph has a great deal of experience with several modules, especially Quiz and Lesson (thus the hammer iconbig grin). Sounds like it is difficult.

Joseph's comment reminds me that I think Lesson keeps track of the score awarded to the question. (Once when I was in a brave mood, I looked at the Lesson and Quiz SQL tables). Keeping track of a student's question score is different than recording the student's answer and applying a score. An interface example: in Quiz you can regrade because it tracks each students answer but in Lesson this is not possible. The goals of each module are different, sometimes the square peg will just not fit .

Best Chris

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Elena,
In the Lesson module there is no saving of students's attempt similar to the one in the Quiz module. You write "It seems to be relatively straightforward...". Don't take it for granted! In fact, due to the fundamentally different features of the Quiz and Lesson modules, I expect that what you want would be extremely difficult or impossible to implement.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Elena Ivanova -
Thank you, Joseph.
So, for example, when instructor goes into Reports, and clicks on one of the attempts, he sees a table. One column there shows what a student selected and the second one shows class stats.
I thought that if we will strip off the class stats, then it will be safe to show just the first column to the student herself.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Elena,
I see what you mean and will try to have a look at the code. It might be feasible, after all...
Joseph

by Elena Ivanova -
Thank you, Joseph!
The customer that wanted this feature just told me that they have already developed a small code change for this. We will review and test it on our instance; and then I think they will be willing to post the code here, if anyone will want it. Overall, I think it is useful feature even for the core. smile

by Joseph Rézeau -
Very good, when you have tested the feature, please do not post it in this forum but to the bug tracker, under "new feature".
Thanks
Joseph

by rupert mackenzie -

Hi

Does that mean that we can review answers in question pages?

Thanks

Joe

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi again smile

We have developed a patch which allows students to see their own Reports (aka review all previous attempts) for the Lesson tool.
Thus, they do not need to retake the lesson from the beginning, but can see their previous attempts (similar to Quiz).
You can grab the code and see screenshots here: MDL-19948

How it works:
Instructor should go to Lesson Settings and set "Allow Students to see their own reports" to "Yes"
Student can later go to the "organizer page", where all lessons in the course are listed, and review his own reports there.

The "organizer" page can be accessed by a student by going to the:
- Activities block > Lessons on the course homepage
- Going to a Lesson, and then clicking Lessons link in the breadcrumbs
We realize that not all Moodle installations use such link in the breadcrumbs, or that not all instructors want Activities block, but we did not want the patch to be too invasive into the core code.

We hope you like it and that it can make it to the core with some modifications if needed smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)