Upload multiple HP's?

Upload multiple HP's?

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 16
Is there any way of loading multiple quizzes to a course using the Hotpot module?  I have some 300 to upload.....
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Upload multiple HP's?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The procedure is the same as for uploading any Moodle resource: zip all your HP quizzes, upload to Your Files on your moodle course and unzip.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Sorry I meant: Add more than one HP to course at a time.

by Deborah Delin -
Thanks for replying Joseph but I didn't mean that. Sorry if I the wrong term. I meant is there a quick way of getting the quizzes from the uploaded files into the course?

In the course I Add an Activity>Hot Potatoes Quiz>Choose or Upload a File. It's quite long-winded and I have many many quizzes. Is there a way I can add more than one at a time?

Re: Sorry I meant: Add more than one HP to course at a time.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry for misunderstanding your question, Deborah. I'm afraid that HP quizzes, like any other Moodle activity or resource have to be added one by one.

I do understand that can be very tedious if you have such a large number of quizzes to add... But it is certainly quite unusual for a teacher to need to add so many quizzes at one go.wink

Joseph

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Deborah and Joseph,

Well, I'm another of those unusual teachers who has large numbers of Hot Potatoes exercises to add at once. Though I've never added 300 at one go it is technically possible. I usually do sets of 10 to 30 at a time.

When you make the Hot Pot Exercises on your computer you have to link each to the next one. You can use the Masher to do this. Upload the exercises to the Files area in Moodle and then you choose the first exercise in the series (the html file) and select "Add quiz chain" and "Show next quiz". See screenshot below.

This what it says in the help file :

"If the "File name" is a file, it is treated as the start of a chain of Hot Potatoes quizzes and all quizzes in the chain will be added to the course with identical settings.

If the "File name" is a folder, all Hot Potatoes quizzes in the folder will be added to the course as a chain of quizzes with identical settings."

By default, only the first exercise in the chain will be visible to students, but you can "open the eyes" of the other exercises if you wish.

I would suggest trying it out with a chain of two or three exercises first. You can add them as a chain, but as far as I know, they can only be removed one by one.

Here's an example of a chain Making Questions (it's open to guests). As a guest, you only see the first in a set of 16 JMix exercises on the main page. You can see the whole set if you look in Activities > Hot Potatoes Quizzes.

Cheers,
Glenys

Attachment screenshot_02.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Excellent piece of advice, Glenys!

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Deborah,
as Glenys says in her great explanation, you can add multiple HotPots if you set "Add quiz chain" to "yes" on Moodle's "Adding a Hot Potatoes quiz" page

Regarding the "Show next quiz" setting when you are adding HotPots:

• if "Show next quiz" is "no"
    all the HotPots will be added and they will all be visible on the course page

• if "Show next quiz" is "yes"
    all the HotPots will be added, but only the first one will be visible on the course page, thus creating the illusion of a chain
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -
(I thought I posted this hours ago but it doesn't appear - apologies if it appears twice)

Glenys, Joseph and Gordon,

Thanks for your replies. And Glenys thanks so much for that excellent explanation ( I did look at your site - it's so interesting seeing what other people do with the HP's).

I was very excited to hear that it is possible to add a whole series of HP's to a course at once. However, I can't manage to do it fully. When I load the first quiz in the chain, as you directed, it appears and, indeed, it does link to the rest of the quizzes in the chain. But the rest of the quizzes don't appear on the course page and I don't see an option anywhere, or a closed eye, to make them appear. Whether I set Show Next Quiz>Yes or Show Next Quiz >No, the next quizzes do not appear.

I attach a screenshot of the Add a New Quiz page and of the Course Page. The quiz 7b has been added twice as the first in the quiz chain (once with Show Next Quiz>yes and once >No).

I did not use Masher to link my quizzes as I am using various different source files for my quizzes and, as far as I could tell, Masher can only deal with a set of quizzes all with the same source file. So I linked them manually - don't know if this could be anything to do with it - but they do link.

I do hope that one of you Moodle wizards can help me sort this as I am not looking forward to adding the quizzes one at a time. Not only is it, as you say Joseph, tedious, but it is also extremely time-consuming.

Thanks so much in advance.

Aargh I couldn't attach the screenshots as they exceed the maximum size limit!

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Deborah,
if you want the HotPot module to try and follow links, then have to use the html files (not the jcl, jcw, jmt, jmx jqz files), so that is the first thing to check.

The eye icons appear on the course page when you switch the course page into edit mode by clicking on the button in the top right hand corner of the course page.

If you continue to have problems, please load one of your chains onto my server, so we can all look at it together.

cheers
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

I have uploaded a folder with four linked quizzes to your site.  I added the first of the quizzes to Fullname101, with Update Quiz Chain>Yes, and it appears in Topic 2 as 10b Sounds.  Please disregard the fact that the quizzes don't work because I didn't upload the images etc. which go with them.  All that concerns me is adding multiple quizzes to the course. 

As on my site, the quiz links to the other quizzes but I see now way of making them appear on the Course page.  I would be very grateful for your guidance.

Thank you so much.

by Gordon Bateson -
Deborah,
thank you for uploading the quizzes to my server.

The crucial point is that 10c_int.htm is not a standard Hot Potatoes quiz. Instead, it uses Michael Rottmeier's "IntroPage" format for JMatch. Apparently this format has slightly different buttons than the standard JMatch format, so the HotPot module could not recognize them, and was therefore not able to pick out the url of the "next" quizzes.

In particular, the navigation buttons in the "IntroPage" format do not have the expected class="NavButton" attribute.

However, I have modifed the HotPot module so that it can recognize the buttons even without the "class" attribute. I expect this modification will become available via Moodle CVS in 24 hours, but it can take a week. Alternatively, you can download the new HotPot module from my server:
thanks again for making your quizzes available for testing approve

best regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Gordon, you are such a star! Thank you so much for working your magic. I have used Michael Rottmeier's "JMemori" too. From what you have said your modification will allow Hotpot to work with them too?

I have realized that using these non-standard formats has caused a lot of technical complications. But I feel that they will be important in adding variety and helping hold the attention of the younger children I am catering to. Thank you so much for helping me do this.

by Deborah Delin -
Hi again Gordon,

I am so sorry but I was unable to follow the link you provided for HotPot Module for Moodle 1.9. I couldn't find it on your site either. When you say it will become available via Moodle CVS, I am sorry but I don't know what that means. Will it be automatically available to me or do I have to take some action? Sorry to be such a nuisance.

by Gordon Bateson -
> Thank you
You're welcome!

> I was unable to follow the link ...
Sorry about that. Here's the correct link:
You can download the new HotPot module from there immediately, or wait a few days and get it as part of the Moodle 1.9 zip file on the Moodle downloads page

For your information, CVS (Concurrent Versioning System) makes it easier for you to keep your Moodle scripts up-to-date.

More information about CVS here:
all the best
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Thanks so much for all your help.

I am, thankfully, hosted by Key to School so I don't get into things like CVS, if my understanding is correct.

Key to School have just installed Quizport so I am very excited to start experimenting!

by Deborah Delin -
I'm so excited I just had to report! I just added a quiz chain using the new modification and it added all the quizzes in the chain to my course! This is awsome news for me and will save me literally hours of tedious mind-numbing work! Thanks so much to Glenys for telling me how and to Gordon for making it work.