Go to a link after saving results?

Go to a link after saving results?

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 8

Hi Gordon and Everybody!

My course is made up mainly of Hot Potatoes quizzes with a few converted Powerpoint presentations at critical points to present new information my students will then be quizzed on. 

I put the URL of the PP's in the "Next Exercise"  box of the HP quizzes and was very happy with the way the quizzes led beautifully to the PP's when the Next Exercise button was pressed.  But ALAS!  I have just discovered that when one actually does the quiz, after the results are stored Moodle takes you to the next actual HP quiz rather than to the URL in the Next Exercise box.  If I set Show Next Quiz>No in Moodle then it returns to the course page.  I don't want this as my students are very young and I think this will be confusing.  I want them to be automatically directed from quiz to presentation and vice versa (URL on the PP's back to the quizzes works fine). 

Is there a way I can get Moodle to go where I want it to?

Thanks so much in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Go to a link after saving results?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

> Is there a way I can get Moodle to go where I want it to?

Yes, I think so, maybe, sort of ...

If you do this ...

1. add your HotPot(s) to the Moodle course
  2. add you PowerPoint to the Moodle course as a Resource
  3. right click  - you use IE6 right smile on the link to the PowerPoint resource and select "copy the Shortcut" (or equivant in your local language)
  4. go back to the source file for your HotPot and paste the url for the PowerPoint resource in as the url for the "next" button
  5. upload the modified HotPot source file to Moodle

then when you click the next button while doing the HotPot you should be able to go to the PowerPoint resource.

However, if the student finishes the HotPot successfully I think they will be taken automatically back to the Moodle course page, so maybe this is not what you want.

You want them to complete the HotPot successfully and then be taken automatically to the PowerPoint presentation, right? That's not possible with the standard HotPot module.

You could use the "lesson" module, and insert the Hot Potatoes quizzes using an iframe (Joseph R. has written about this elsewhere on the Moodle forums)

Or if you were me, I would convert the PowerPoint to html pages and use the QuizPort module to create a chain of HotPots and html pages.

thank's all I can think of for now smile
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Deborah - I think it is worth investigating (as Gordon says) the lesson module which will enable you to control where they go after they have done the hotpotato quiz.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Deborah Delin -
Gordon and Mary - thanks very much for the suggestions. I will look into the Lesson option.

Re converting the PP's to an HTML page, I don't know much about it but am I right in thinking I would not be able to preserve the animations? Gordon, I think you are joking when you suggest a novice like me uses Quizport just yet right?smile

BTW, you will be happy to know that I have upgraded from IE6 though I fear it might be a mistake as most of my students will probably still be using it!!sad

Thanks again for your help. Every time I think this course is about to be given birth to there is a complication in the labour!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Not sure if this is relevant here or not but you can convert ppts to flash files which retain all the animation by using ispring free here : http://www.ispringsolutions.com/products/ispring_free.html
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Deborah Delin -
Thanks Mary. That's exactly what I have - PP's which have been converted using iSpring Free!

by Mary Cooch -
big grin Well you're obviously doing everything brilliantly then!!!smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon, Mary or anyone else who might have input,

I looked into the Lesson Module but I decided I don't want to put my HP quizzes in Lessons as the embedded frame is far less elegant than the HP navigation buttons, IMHO.

So I have another plan but would very much appreciate your expert opinions, in case there is some glaring problem with it that I can't see, before I put in the hours gearing my course in this way.

In the HP Module, Michael Rottemeier's customizations, like JMemory, don't take results. So I thought I would make my series of HP's, putting a JMemory or JIntro before the Resource linking to the converted Powerpoint presentation. That way when the student does the JMemory it won't store results and he will just have to press the "Next Exercise" button and will arrive at the Powerpoint Pres. It does seem a bit upside down but I thought it might work?

Sorry to be so longwinded and impose on your time but I have made so many time costly mistakes that I am being cautious now.

Thanks very much in advance.

by Mary Cooch -
Actually, if that works, I think it's rather clever!smile