why isn't this in the regular distribution?

why isn't this in the regular distribution?

by Sean S -
Number of replies: 4
I'm wondering why dialogue module hasn't been added to the regular distribution? I started using it with my students this week and it is working perfectly.

I can only say good things about this module.

Sean
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean S

Re: why isn't this in the regular distribution?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Because I want to see this functionality implemented in a different way (see the forum on Instant Messaging).

Once things get included in the main distribution, people get attached to them and it's harder for me to make the transition.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ray Kingdon -
I'd second that approve. It's really one of the big strengths of Moodle that we have a whole raft of modules at the "edges" which can be somewhat unorthodox. It's possible through Moodle's powerful modular structures. Hopefully that "core plus modules" approach will always remain. Just enjoy the diversity...
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Ger Tielemans -

I like the new details on the moduls and add-on page: I understand the need to call some the core and others not. (By the way, Xoops2 delivers also a core without ANY modul... Assemble your own. (In Moodle you have to remove the moduls, only forum has to stay: Martin's love baby I suppose, that's where it all started?)

I only hope that all these other small efforts will get their place in the add-on area: shelves, subsections, gradebook, dbAdmin, modified quiz, resume button, etc..
(Not for me, I live in the forums, but for normal users.)

I only hope that these add-ons do not try to replace other ones, like the lessons-make-over: I prefer a lessons II modul, parallel to the other one. (We have grades I en grades II (=gradesbook) also "independent" implemented.    

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Sean S -
Thanks for the answer. I think the IM module sounds great. And I do agree with everyone else on this thread that the ability to add extra modules to your distribution is very beneficial. I've added dialogue and questionairre to mine.