calculated true & false

calculated true & false

by david benedetto -
Number of replies: 3
hello, i'm trying to quiz my students on divisibility rules using a wildcard.

how do i get the answer to calculate whether a randomly generated number is divisible by a specific divisor.

e.g. is the number {n} divisible by 2?

is the mod function available? if so, how does it work in the calculated answer box?

how do i set the correct response based on the calculated answer (T or F)?

i'm using 1.9.2

thoughtful

david benedetto
sausd
Average of ratings: -
In reply to david benedetto

Re: calculated true & false

by Santiago Ramirez -
Hello David, you can try this:

is the number {n} divisible by {m}?

The formula that you can use is similar to

is_infinite(log(2/(fmod({n},{m}))))

Then, when {n} is divisible by {m} fmod({n},{m})=0 and is_infinite(log(2/(fmod({n},{m}))))=1. Any other case the result is 0.

The correct response is 1 (YES) or 0 (NOT).

You must choose correctly de set of datas (Decimals places = 0)

Sorry but my english is not very good triste.

Santi
In reply to Santiago Ramirez

by david benedetto -
thank you.

i finally realized that "is_infinite(log(2/(fmod({n},{m}))))" was the only line in the calculated answer formula line.

i also changed {m} to a constant so i could test their skills with specific divisors.

however, i am getting a division by zero error (below) in the problem even though the problem works perfectly.

Warning: Division by zero in /home/virtualm/public_html/moodle/question/type/calculated/questiontype.php(877) : eval()'d code on line 1
is the number 6088 divisible by 2?

this error shows up only sporatically. if i preview the question several times it doesn't show up each time. i generated 50 problems from 10 to 9999. in the list none of them show any errors and all are working perfectly.

david big grin

In reply to david benedetto

by Pierre Pichet -
I have done the same tests and obtain the same warning.
If I look further in the code the fmod() function is used although it is not in the list of allowed functions.
I added this to MDL-18141

Pierre