I wanted to give a big THANK YOU to Fabian for his much needed help over the past few days.
I am happy to announce I am running Mediabird Study Notes site-wide with all issues somewhat resolved. Here's what happened and how it got fixed.
I started out having the same issue as Ms. Letha, and still do a bit, but now all the text in the side menu is fully displayed.
I did a little poking around and discovered it was that mediabird's object was wider than what would fit into other themes that used a .css file to control width for the 1024px wide monitor users. I passed this info onto to Fabian at mediabird, as I was in over my head on how to fix it and I was a bit impatient, cuz I really like their notes tool. Anyway, I appreciated the quick response from mediabird and have their notes system up and running. The fix was the latest release from mediabird a couple of days back.
Oh, and it is running SITE WIDE. I did this accidently following mediabird instructions for use with custom themes. Under moodle support, they say; 'If you are using your own theme, all you need to add is the following line in the file header.html..after this line of code...'.
Funny thing, the landmark line given was in my theme css file twice. I discovered this while trying to troubleshoot another problem, which I will address later on in this post. So, just to see what would happen, I put it in both places in my minorly customized 'Computer-World' theme 'header.html' file. The result was that it now appears on my front page and virtually every page, except https pages. I like it! Guests get redirected to the login page. Plus it fixed the issue I was having with the mediabird button trying to load on my secured user profile pages.
This left me with just one more potentially show stopping problem...well it was a lot of little things either not working or working strangely along with an illogical error saying my 'note was too big..', when it didn't have anything in it. The bullets and enumeration functions refused to work. And a bunch of....just weird behavior.
My partner said she was having the same problem 100% of the time, while I could remember it working for me more than once. The answer was one of those DUH moments for me. The culprit in all of this strangeness was none other than.....(drum roll please),
the NEW & Improved? Internet Explorer 8
. I use both IE
in testing my site and should of figured this one out much sooner.
MY SOLUTION: Wish the guys at mediabird some luck figuring out what microsoft did to make their code go clunk AND I posted the following notice on the front page of my site, because this is NOT a show stopper. Good ole microsoft and their somewhat compatible 'compatibility modes'. The good news is that I have mediabird Study Notes up and running great thus far even for those using IE8. The trick is to get the users to be aware of this and use 'Compatibility View'. It works, although not as good as Firefox, but then again, it never did. For example, with firefox the user just needs to be on a line to set it to a bulleted line, but with IE the user has to select all the text on the line first. Bottom-line, it works as good as one can expect with any version of IE.
Here is what I POSTED on my Front Page:
ATTENTION Internet Explorer 8 Users: If you are using the NEW Internet Explorer 8, please go to 'tools' in IE8 and ensure 'Compatibility View' is checked (turned on). The Study Notes system does not yet function correctly with IE8, UNLESS 'Compatibility View' is enabled. Thank you!
NOTE: Our site is tested and optimized for use with the Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Google Chrome browsers. This site is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.
If anyone wants to check out the Study Notes tool in use, you are welcome to visit my site at http://www.QIMTonline.com
(Don't be afraid of the '.com', unless you are part of a small field of science called 'Metrology'...no not meteorology. If you are not involved in metrology, I don't anything you would want.
But, I am always willing to help others over the bumps that slapped the grin off my face, although ....I should state again. I am not a real web programmer.
I write VBA for Excel for laboratory mathematics of various types. Although, I have enjoyed wandering through the code of moodle. Just like in Mexico, I can figure enough of the language out to get a drink and find a restroom.
But I am learning.
And it is much easier than writing code for my Commodore 64 back in 1982.
I hope what little info I provided will be of some help to someone, and if not, at least I didn't waste any paper with this dribble. Have a nice day!