Wanted: Quiz that gives an overall score but not question-level scores

Wanted: Quiz that gives an overall score but not question-level scores

написао/ла Janet DiVincenzo -
Број одговора: 9

I have a professor who wants a quiz that does the following:

1. Student takes multiple choice quiz
  2. Student gets an overall score ("You got 7 out of 10 correct.")
  3. Student sees all of the questions, what they chose, and explanatory feedback underneath each question that does not actually reveal the correct answer.

Why this format?  She wants students to read the feedback, which does not give away the correct answer, figure out the right answer, and then determine if they got it right or wrong. This forces them to go over each question after they take the quiz (unless they got them all right).

Can Moodle do this? Playing with the various settings was unsuccessful.

У одговору на Janet DiVincenzo

Re: Wanted: Quiz that gives an overall score but not question-level scores

написао/ла Ravi Makhija -
Hi Janet,

To accomplish this, use the Quiz review options.

Navigate to the quiz editing page and disable "Answers" for all three options: immediately after attempt, later while quiz is still open, and after the quiz is closed.

Keep adaptive mode set to off. Adaptive mode is used to allow the student to submit an answer to a question multiple times (until they get it right).

Then assuming the MC question has more than 2 answer choices, the student will have to use the feedback to figure out the correct answer. The student can now only see the feedback for the question answered incorrectly, but not the correct answer. Meaning the green check mark will be omitted ;)

See screen shots here. (Scroll down)
У одговору на Ravi Makhija

Hi Rajiv,

Okay, I see how disabling Answers does part of the job. But I still would like the student to know what their overall score was, but not which questions they got right or wrong.  So I would like Moodle to suppress the "Incorrect" and/or the red  checkmark that appears, and I would like Moodle to present feedback for ALL questions, whether they got them right or wrong.  I still don't see how I can do this, because "Scoring" to Moodle means: I score you and I tell you which ones you got wrong.  I just want the first part of that.

The closest I can come is to ONLY have "general feedback" checked.  However, this approach does not give the student any score whatsoever.  

Thanks for your patience!
Janet

написао/ла Ravi Makhija -
Hi Janet, I think you're the first to confuse my name on the internet hah!

In any case I *think* I see what you're saying now, unfortunately I don't know how to accomplish this. I'm wondering though, if you do not inform the students which questions they got wrong after the quiz, do you plan on giving the answer key at a later date?
У одговору на Ravi Makhija

Hi Ravi,

Sorry that I messed up your name! Sloppy skimming on my part!

In answer to your question, the professor wants her students to essentially grade themselves by providing text feedback that they have to read and understand in order to figure out if they got the right answer.

Example:

Semiconservative replication:

1. results in each new DNA molecule with one new and one old strand
  2. and conservative replication are both important in synthesis of DNA
  3. is more energy efficient than conservative replication
  4. does not require DNA polymerase
  5. does not require cellular energy

DNA replication involves several steps. First the DNA strands are separated. Each strand gets replicated by addition of complementary nucleoside triphosphates with help from DNA polymerases and with energy from hydrolysis of pyrophosphate from incoming nucleoside triphosphate. Nucleotides are always added to the 3’ end of each strand here the phosphate from the nucleoside, combines with OH on the DNA strand to form phosphodiester bond. This is termed semiconservative replication where each daughter DNA molecule has one old and one new DNA strand.

Janet

написао/ла Joseph Rézeau -
Слика Core developers Слика Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика Plugin developers Слика Testers Слика Translators

Hi Janet,

After looking again at your question and the various answers posted to it, I have come to the conclusion that you (or rather your "professor") are mixing up 2 different ways of using a quiz.

#1. Using a quiz as a learning activity

In this situation, we are not so much interested in grading the questions as in providing the student with relevant feedback messages to help them understand why they got their response correct or incorrect. If they got it wrong, then the feedback message says so and possibly provides some help towards getting it correct the next time. In this situation, the Moodle quiz should be set to Adaptive.

#2. Using a quiz as a testing activity

In this situation, we are only interested in testing the student's acquired knowledge.

What you want is in fact a "mix" of those two different types of activity and, as such, is very likely impossible to achieve technically and - I suggest - not practical or valid as a learning activity. I'd be interested to hear your (or your professor's) arguments for not simply opting for either #1 or #2.

Joseph

У одговору на Joseph Rézeau

написао/ла ben reynolds -
I have to agree w/ Joseph on this. If the point is to make the student reconsider a wrong answer and come up with a correct one, then Adaptive is the way to go.

It lets the student submit one answer at a time. If the answer is wrong, you can get feedback indicating the answer is wrong and perhaps some information about what might be wrong with it.

I happen to be in the middle of a Moodle crisis that doesn't allow me to look at our site, but I believe you can create feedback particular to each choice in a multiple-choice question.

The student then tries again. Gets more feedback, etc.

One question at a time.

When your prof is ready to see whether the students know their stuff, you send them to a different, graded quiz that performs as per Joseph's #2 above.
У одговору на ben reynolds

написао/ла Jeff Forssell -
Moodle can not only give feedback for each choice, in a multiple choice question, but also give meaningful feedback for student entered text or numerical answers (and not just the right one!) even by recognizing partial patterns or intervals respectively.

And when you want to evaluate, you don't have to make new questions. You just turn off the feedback and "adaptive mode" on the quiz and use the same questions!
У одговору на Jeff Forssell

написао/ла Jeffrey Thomas -

I agree with the previous replies about distinguishing between the learning and the assessment functions of the quiz.

However, your subject-line alludes to a possible answer:  Overall Feedback can provide a way to respond with tiered feedback tied to the score, without exposing the numeric value itself.   If, for example, you provided text in the tiered OverallFeeback boxes like  "Excellent score, you got them all right!"  and "Almost perfect, you might have missed one or two" and "Please review the material, as you seem to have missed 3 or 4 questions"

Also, note that the grades report can display the total score even if it is not exposed in the quiz.  So students can see their quiz score via their grades report even if you don't expose it in the quiz block.   This could provide you with a workaround whereby you can instruct the students how to find their score that way.

As my situation allows for face-to-face time with all students, I use the quiz as an initial assessment, then review the answers in class.  Then I leave the quiz open for subsequent non-graded attempts (review), and a promise to include a random subset of those questions on a future assessment.    Admittedly, this is not as constructivist as I would like, but in my school environment it is radical enough.