reports inconsistency

reports inconsistency

by Yaniv Cohen -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

When I view the user activity reports (Username ► Activity report ► Outline) I get the actual number of questionnaire submissions.  

But when I look at the course activity reports (Coursename ► Reports ► Activity report) I see the number of Questionnaire views and not the number of submittions.

Is it possible to add the number of submissions to the course reports?

Thanks,

Yaniv.

Attachment Reports.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yaniv Cohen

Re: reports inconsistency

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yaniv,

Thanks for mentioning this problem. Here is the situation regarding Coursename ► Reports ► Activity report and Questionnaire at the moment (1.9).

1- All the modules which report something to that Activity report in fact report the number of Views, not number of responses, etc. In the case of some resources or activities, the number of Views is relevant. In the case of activities such as Quiz, Lesson, Questionnaire (and others) that information is not very useful. The number of times that a Questionnaire has simply been viewed (rather than submitted) is not great information!

2- Anyway, it seems that the way that Questionnaire logs Views and Submits has changed some time ago. At the moment it only logs Submits, not Views. You are probably not using the latest version for 1.9.

3- What do we do now? I see 2 possibilities.

a) Questionnaire should log all Views, which will then appear in the Activity Report in the Views column. This will be coherent with the way the other modules log user activity. But this is apparently not what you want.

b) Whenever a questionnaire is submitted, Questionnaire should log this as View (as well as Submit). Consequently, the Activity Report will show in the Questionnaire View column the number of submissions. This is what you want, but it is not coherent with the other modules' behavior.

Before doing anything I would like the opinion of other Questionnaire users (and Mike's view of course).

Joseph

PS.- For anyone who wants to test out option #b, simply add the following line in file questionnaire/locallib.php, function view(), around line 192

/// Print the main part of the page
add_to_log($this->course->id, "questionnaire", "view", "view.php?id={$this->cm->id}", "{$this->name}", $this->cm->id, $USER->id);

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Yaniv Cohen -

Any news about the decision?

Am I suppose to see anything on the 'views' report with the last Quetionnaire version?

In reply to Yaniv Cohen

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Yaniv,
Further to my message dated 25 April 2009 there has been no reaction in this thread, so I have not taken any decision.
Joseph

by Yaniv Cohen -

I see that people don't realy care about that, but still why should questionnaire be any different from other modules?

It should log somthing (view or submit) in order to appear in the Activity report like any other activity.

In reply to Yaniv Cohen

by Joseph Rézeau -
In my post dated Saturday, 25 April 2009, 12:05 PM I propose 2 possibilities:

3- What do we do now? I see 2 possibilities.

a) Questionnaire should log all Views, which will then appear in the Activity Report in the Views column. This will be coherent with the way the other modules log user activity. But this is apparently not what you want.

b) Whenever a questionnaire is submitted, Questionnaire should log this as View (as well as Submit). Consequently, the Activity Report will show in the Questionnaire View column the number of submissions. This is what you want, but it is not coherent with the other modules' behavior.

Which would you (and other Questionnaire users) prefer : a or b ?
Joseph

by Yaniv Cohen -
I prefer option b which is more informative and also consistent with the user activity report.
In reply to Yaniv Cohen

by Joseph Rézeau -
OK, Yaniv, I'll have a look at implementing this option ASAP.
Joseph
EDITED---
I have again looked carefully at the various possible options and have come to the conclusion that the present reporting of Questionnaire activity is in keeping with the way the other standard Moodle modules (Quiz, etc) report their activity. Any change would make Questionnaire behave differently from the other modules, so I will not change anything.
Joseph