Generating quadratics from wildcards - help please!

Generating quadratics from wildcards - help please!

by Eleanor Belfield -
Number of replies: 3

Been trying this for ages! Really hope someone can help...

I want to generate a quadratic that can be factorised by students.

I have tried various combinations of

x^2 + {{a}+{b}}x  + {{a}*{b}}

or trying to set up:

x^2 + {y}x + {z}   

and try to set up somewhere that {y} = {a}+{b} and {z} = {a}*{b}

But I can't get it to work.,... any thoughts? Thanks in advance

(Moodle 1.9.4)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eleanor Belfield

Re: Generating quadratics from wildcards - help please!

by Pierre Pichet -
The actual calculated question type is limited to one response that can be solved by one equation.
So this question type cannot solve your problem.
However if you use multianswer (cloze) question type you could generate a question where you add yourself a quadratic equation and ask for the two factors.
A simple example
What are the roots of x2 + 3x + 2 .
The greater root is {1:NUMERICAL:=2:0.1#feedback...}
The other root is {1:NUMERICAL:=1:0.1#feedback...}

You could create a set of questions and add them as random in your quiz.

Pierre Pichet

by John Rodgers -
If its any help, I have been generating questions (not calculated) using a spreadsheet for GIFT upload. These have included quadratics with roots.

I have attached the open office sheet I have been using for calculus I am currently working on (right at the moment. There may be a few macros in it to handle polynomial building.

by Pierre Pichet -
I answer here to a message I received from Mark Hampton

"Hello. I am hoping for some quick assistance from you. I am sending you this message because you had a post (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=43589) that seemed to describe some of what I want to do. I want to create multi-part cloze questions using excel because I don't want to calculate all the answers by hand. For instance: I teach math, so I would like to create 50 variants of this question: "An arrow is shot in the air with an initial angle of {theta} and an initial velocity of {velocity} m/sec. Find the time until it hits the ground, the horizontal distance it has traveled, the time the arrow reaches its apex, and the maximum height achieved." I know I could do each part individually with a calculated question type using the wildcards, but then my students have to make new equations for each problem and solve them, which, while providing lots of drill and practice, seems like overkill. I want to make an excel spreadsheet where I can insert my own {theta} and {velocity} values (either by hand or with a randomizing function} and then have excel calcluate the answer for me (I can make the formulas to do that).

What I am hoping you can provide is a little assistance to me on how to set up my spreadsheet to generate the xml code for me so I can import my questions into moodle easily.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
Mark Hampton"

An example of the cloze XML structure is shown in

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=118845#p521357

Pierre