Profile photo does not show

Profile photo does not show

by Forrest Nelson -
Number of replies: 22

I just installed 1.4, but still have a problem with the profile photo. It will not display at all. I also don't see a smiley picture either.

I have read the documentation. Here are the specs

• Server version: Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.15 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP-CGI/0.1b
  • slashargument is set to first choice
  • GD 2x is installed.

My photo still does not show up. I even tried creating a htaccess file with the suggested script, but since my server is not 2.0, I deleted that file because the documentation said that the important script was default. Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Forrest Nelson

Re: Profile photo does not show

by Forrest Nelson -
This is the second letter to my request for assisstance on profile photos. If I delete the photo I uploaded, the smiley face displays. However, if I upload my picture, the smiley face disappears and no picture shows up. The only thing that shows up besideds all the text is the square where my picture should be and a small white square with a red X in the middle. Any ideas?

by Cefn Hoile -
You'll have to tell us what the URL is which the image is being retrieved from.

Is the image actually available at that URL?

What's different between the URL which the image is supposed to be at, and the URL which the image is actually at.

You can find out the supposed URL by clicking on the red x and selecting something like 'Copy Link to Clipboard' or choosing properties for that image.

My original total guess from knowing almost nothing about moodle, was for you to check that you declared the home of moodle correctly in the config file. (e.g. the externally visible URL by which moodle is accessed needs to be declared to moodle so that it can find things like images). However, I guess the fact you have smileys discounts this as a possibility.

Cefn
http://cefn.com
In reply to Cefn Hoile

by Forrest Nelson -

Thanks Cefn,

I think it might be a link problem. In any case, I have tried everything suggested in the FAQs and this forum and nothing works. The only thing I need to check now is the config file and the links as you suggested.

In reply to Cefn Hoile

by Forrest Nelson -

Cefn,

I check the links as you said, here is what I found.

smiley picture URL from property window

www.forrestworld.org/moodle/pix/u/f2.png

My empty uploaded picture from property

www.forrestworld.org/moodle/user/pix.php/1/f1.jpg

Actual URL of uploaded picture

www.forrestworld.org/moodle/moodledata/1/forrestpng.png

I think there is a link problem going on. Any ideas?

by Cefn Hoile -
I think this is going beyond my expertise (as to how exactly files are stored and retrieved on moodle) but I think you have provided enough information for some of the other guys on the site to debug it now.

Hopefully one of them will pipe up.

Sorry to leave you high and dry.

Cefn
http://cefn.com

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Your problem is precisely the "broken images" problem.
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Forrest Nelson -

Thanks for the information. I clicked on the link and found this problem.

This is the message I got after checking:

1. http://www.forrestworld.org/moodle/config.php

Checking url: http://www.forrestworld.org/moodle/config.php

2 extraneous characters emitted by your config.php file
The hex encodings of these extraneous characters are shown below
0x0d 0x0a

And here is the raw unencoded output generated by your config.php

2. http://www.forrestworld.org/moodle/theme/metal/config.php

Checking url: http://www.forrestworld.org/lib/moodlelib.php

211 extraneous characters emitted by your config.php file

3. http://www.forrestworld.org/lib/weblib.php

Checking url: http://www.forrestworld.org/lib/weblib.php

208 extraneous characters emitted by your config.php file

From the notes on the broken link page, I guess this means that I should reinstall moodle 1.4 and use the new config file that comes with it. I used the old 1.2 config file. I will fix that now.

Thanks for the information.

No, you don't have to reinstall. Delete the extra blank line in your config.php, either before the initial <?PHP line or after the final ?> line.

by W Page -
Hi Forrest!

Check the "slasharguments" dropdown menu on the "Variables" page in the "Configuration" section of the "Admin" page.

mtsv14dev » Administration » Configuration » Variables

Change the value from one or the other of the following.  [Whichever one is different from the one you have listed now.]
  • file. php?file=/pic.jpg
  • file.php/pic.jpg

Then save the page and see if your profile images display.

WP1
Attachment variables_flasharguments.gif
In reply to W Page

by Forrest Nelson -
Thanks for the info W. Page, but that was the first thing I tried. Still did not work. I did however, delete the file in my profile and afterwards, the smiley face appeared. That works. But when I upload another picture, there is only an empty picture space with a red x in it.

First follow up on Cefn's suggestion. If you get a "not found" error, then the problem is most likely due to your slasharguments settings as suggested by WP. Another possible error message is "permission denied", in which case you would need to change permissions of your Moodle data folder or its subfolders. If the image file is found on the server but is a broken image, click on the highlighted text "broken images", for another possibility.

by Forrest Nelson -
Thanks for the information, but I have not seen any message saying broken image. I have tried changing the slashargument, I have checked to see if GD is installed and it is, the photos I uploaded are there, but the the link is broken. However, there is not broken link message. Just an empty picture square with a red X

You misunderstand: click on the highlighted text here->"broken images".

by diane ehrlich -

Hello:

Just ran the script you suggested that verifies that no blank characters or lines exist in my config.php and it said all was well.  Any other hints or tips as to why our uploaded pictues do not appear (I get the red X icon)?  All help or suggestions or chiding will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

DHE

In reply to diane ehrlich

When I visit your site http://dheconsl.brinkster.net/moodle/, I do see your profile image on the front page in the site news forum posting.  If you see a red X instead, then it is some issue with your browser client, not with your Moodle server.

by Hideto Harashima -
I moved my moodle site to a new server with Fedora Core with 1.5. Everything seems to be OK, but I cannot upload my mugshots to my profile. Strange, all my students' mugshots show, but they cannot be renewed. A new mugshot doesn't even show in the profile editing screen. Can anyone help me?
In reply to Hideto Harashima

by Timothy Takemoto -
Hi Hideto,
If the place to upload the photos is not there it means that Moodle has detect the ABSENCE of GD (the image manipulation library) on the server. 
Tim 
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Hideto Harashima -

Thank you Tim,

Well, the the place to upload the photos is THERE in the profile-editing page. I can specify the graphic file to be uploaded, but nothing seems to be happening after I chose a file or clicked the update button. I also checked the PHP info and confirmed that the GD support is enabled. Hmmm......

by Timothy Takemoto -
How about permissions on the relevant data folder? Moodle must be able to store the new pictures in the relevant course data file?

Does this only happen with overwriting image files?

Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Hideto Harashima -

Hi Tim,

How about permissions on the relevant data folder? Moodle must be able to store the new pictures in the relevant course data file?

I turned the whole moodledata folder to 777, but all the small folders already existing inside the moodledata folder remain unchanged. Do you know a command (or prefix) which changes the permissions of all the subfolders and files in a sledgehammer fashion?

Does this only happen with overwriting image files?

Yes. All the existing images are OK, but they cannot be overwritten. Well,.... we'll see.

I turned the whole moodledata folder to 777, but all the small folders already existing inside the moodledata folder remain unchanged. Do you know a command (or prefix) which changes the permissions of all the subfolders and files in a sledgehammer fashion?

chmod -R 777 *

by Hideto Harashima -

Thank you, Zbigniew!

Now the profile images get reloaded  and the assignment module starts to funcion. Great!  It took a while for me to realize that I can do chmod -R only with super user authority.

One down. Now I must face the last and the toughest problem of "time out loop", which occurs with only selected courses that I backed up from the old server. Good grief.