Unable to restore course - Stops at creating course modules

Unable to restore course - Stops at creating course modules

by Reshma CB -
Number of replies: 23
Hi,

While restoring a course after the lines....

• Creating new course
    • Training of Teachers in eLearning- Batch 6 copy 3 (SW705_3)
    • Category: Embedded System Design
  • Creating the Restorelog.html in the course backup folder
  • Creating users
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (New: 0, Existing: 115)
    • Students: 0
    • Teachers: 0
  • Creating groups
  • Creating sections
  • Creating categories and questions
    • Category "Default"
    • Category "Default"
      . . . . . . . .
  • Copying user files
  • Copying course files. . . . . .
    • Files/folders: 12
  • Creating scales
  • Creating events
  • Creating course modules

The process stops and does not proceed further.
Please help.

Reshma CB

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Reshma CB

Re: Unable to restore course - Stops at creating course modules

by Kim Gale -
Did you ever find a solution to this Reshma CB? I'm having the same issue and have been unable to find any other solutions/support.
In reply to Kim Gale

by Alick Brown -
Me too...
In reply to Alick Brown

by Frédéric Hoogstoel -
The same bug is reported in forum "Assistance technique" of course "Moodle en Français" :
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=90329#p554760

I get this bug when I try to restore in Moodle 1.8.5+ a course backed up in Moodle 1.8.2.
The restore stops after having displayed :
---------------------------------
  • Création d'un nouveau cours
    • Projet de système d'information 2008 et 2009 (PSI-GIS4-08)
    • Catégorie: Divers
    • N'utilise pas de numéro idnumber pour éviter les collisions
  • Creating the Restorelog.html in the course backup folder
  • Création des sections
  • Création des utilisateurs
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (Nouveau: 91, Existant: 1)
  • Création des catégories et des questions
  • Copie des fichiers utilisateurs. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . .
  • Copie des fichiers de cours.
    • Fichiers/dossiers: 2
  • Création des barèmes
  • Création des groupes . . . . . . . . .
  • Création des groupements
  • Création du calendrier
  • Création des modules de cours
-----------------------------------------

When I enter in the restored course, I get the attached view : the course contains no lateral blocks, all the sections exist. All the icons of all activities and ressources exist, but without title.
And when I try to open or edit a ressource or an activity, I get errors :
"The required instance of this module doesn't exist"
"Course Module ID was incorrect"

Thanks for any help.
In reply to Frédéric Hoogstoel

by David Brighton -
This is happening here as well. All the files seem to be in the right place in the course files area, but nothing actually works. This is a backup and restore from the same version of moodle (1.9.2+). Any tips?
In reply to David Brighton

by Ian Wild -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi all,

I'm currently having the same problem trying to migrate course content from a 1.8.6 to a 1.9.7

What I can tell you is that the course I am working with contains a SCORM package and if I don't include the SCORM package in the backup then the restore proceeds OK. The problem then is that none of the grades are recorded... which is what my client wants sad

I've created a new issue in the tracker here: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-21136

Hope this helps,

Ian
In reply to Reshma CB

by Pieter Wolters -

Hi got same type of problem. However Moodle 1.9.5. Restoring to and from this version.

After setting Debug Messages to "Normal" (Site administration > Server > Debugging ) I get the error

Creating course modules
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 16 bytes) in D:\moodle2\htdocs\demo\lib\xmlize.php on line 53

So this seem to lead to an out of memory problem.  As this is a memory problem I search on "memory" in the settings of Moodle. I arrived at (Site Administration > Server > Performance where you can set "Extra PHP memory limit" I set this to 256MB instead of 128MB and now my restore ran OK.

In reply to Pieter Wolters

by Cheryl Thom -

Hi, I am having the same problems, and doing the steps above to increase the php memory limit did not help.  My error  keeps saying ' Could Not Restore Modules' and that is it.  Help please anyone, I can't get my course up!!

In reply to Pieter Wolters

by Steve Neufeld -

I get exactly the same problem.  Am trying to move a course from on instance of MOODLE 1.9 to another MOODLE (also 1.9).  I reset the memory, but this doesn't solve the problem.  This is a real pain. sad

In reply to Steve Neufeld

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Ditto.

I've tried all kinds of things and can't get anything other than a very small course to back up and as long as it doesn't contain any quizzes. Not really a very practical backup or restore.

Manually backing up course files and unchecking the include course files option helps. At the moment, I have to export then import quiz questions as Moodle XML and then go through the painstaking process of recreating the quiz module instances. This also means keeping an exact mirror of courses on my testing server and using that as a point of reference.

This is a pressing issue that I'd like to see resolved too.

In reply to Steve Neufeld

by Guillermo Madero -

Did you check that the new PHP memory limit is actually larger than the size of the zip file? This might help.

Quizes are definetely the weak link in the back-up process. I would also like to see this problem solved.

Cheers!

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi there,

This is my problem too and has been for a long while though my problem comes through Hot Potatoes/QuizPort. Just one course and 40 users but all very busy with Hot Pots and one week into the course I can no longer backup the course with user data it - it times out.  I'm on shared hosting and from what a developer (Tim Hunt, I think) said about a year ago, I just have to live with it because I can't afford a dedicated server. I make weekly backups of the gradebook and, now I use ForumNG, I export that to Word. But it's not very satisfactory - and time consuming.

I hope things will be better on Moodle 2.

Not so cheerful,

Glenys

In reply to Reshma CB

by Eric Broach -

We have been having the same exact problem with our Moodle system since it was installed almost two years ago, even after upgrading to the latest version of Moodle. Whenever I backup any course on our Development or Production server according to the instructions on Moodle Docs and then try to restore it to a new course, I get an "An error has occurred and the restore could not be completed!" error. It does this regardless of whether or not the course includes quizzes, .zip SCORM packages, or any course files.

In fact, I created the tiniest course possible (just 1 topic, 1 label, and a one-sentence text page), and I still got the same error. I also turned on Normal debugging as suggested, and I didn't see any kind of "fatal error" or "memory out" message. I'm attaching a screen shot of that latest example to this message.

This issue is a serious problem for our Training Department, and it causes tons of headaches and unnecessary manual work. If anyone has any advice at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Eric Broach, Training Development Analyst
Gexa Energy - Houston, Texas, USA

In reply to Eric Broach

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Eric,

small courses shouldn't be a problem at all so, could you, please, create one new issue in the Moodle Tracker, attaching the offending zip course just to be able to test restore it here? That would help to detect any problem properly or to see if it is something not happening in all installations. If you have any privacy concerns with sharing that course, feel free to contact me by email or whatever.

Also, I'd recommend you to run the restore process with debug set to developer level and look to web server logs to see if any information is sent there when you execute the problematic restore.

Finally, take a look to Backup FAQ Docs page. It's good to have it always present.

All this apart from the well-known limits of restore in Moodle 1.9.x with big courses, where both unzipping and (specially) quizzes with tons of attempts can cause problems. See MDL-15489 for more info about that issue.

Ciao smile

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Eric Broach -

Thanks very much for the advice. One quick question: is this known to still be an issue in Moodle 2.0? We're thinking about upgrading our Dev server and seeing if the issue is still there...

Thanks,

Eric

In reply to Eric Broach

by JD Cogmon -

1. I tried to restore my Moodle 1.99 to Moodle 2.0 and it said that it could not perform this function yet, that it is coming in the future. Am I imagining this or has someone else had this experience?
2. I will try and backup again with no test files or history of any kind and see it that works.
Anybody that has any weird problems with Moodle, I really appreciate when you post. t least that way I don't feel like I'm the only one being fitted for a straight-jacket.
This forum is really great. Thank you everyone.

In reply to JD Cogmon

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Eric, the backup and restore process has been completely rewritten for Moodle 2.0, so it's very unlikely you'll have the same issue.

Javon, please note that it is not currently possible to backup a course on a 1.9 site and restore it to a 2.0 site, however the functionality will be available in a forthcoming 2.0.x release (after the release of 2.0) (source: Backup and restore FAQ).

In reply to Helen Foster

by Eric Broach -

Thanks very much, Helen - I have passed that along to our IT department, and we're hoping to test 2.0 on our Development server very soon.

In reply to Helen Foster

by JD Cogmon -

Yes, I noticed that after I got excited and tried to make the move!

Thank you so much for all of your amazing help and support Helen. I am a true lurker and seldom speak unless I am baffled and I always notice the dedication of people like yourself who are indispensable in this forum.

Thank you for all  that you do.

jd

In reply to JD Cogmon

by A. H. -

Hello All,

So if there's a professor who needs us to restore his course to check the students submissions...What do i do? The course is not restoring...And in specicif he requested the quis attempts to be restored! Any solution???This is a very urgent case here, and no solution yet!

I already increased memory limit and all...it just keeps hanging at some point during restore...

Appreciate some help here.

regards,

amer

In reply to A. H.

by Alejo Becerra Diaz -

Hello.

With "memory_limit and all", may I presume that you also increased "max_execution_time"?

This bug comments have very insightful information about backup/restore problems, as Stronk7 pointed out. Check it.

Try to turn debug on and check and post the errors that are reported.

Specify OS, web server and database in use  (type and versions), and Moodle and PHP versions.

Greetings.

In reply to Alejo Becerra Diaz

by Doug Baleshta -

We are getting a similar error in 2.0  We have tried 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 and verified in both running with Postgres.  When backing up and restoring an existing course, getting a incorrect pool file content da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef956 error and not working.  We also had the same problem trying to restore from a b/u on a 2.0.2 trial server onto a production 2.0.2 server.  Anyone else?

In reply to Doug Baleshta

by Doug Baleshta -

A follow up.  We've tried changing our Posgres db to mysql, and still get the same error.  We try backing up a course in 2.0.2 and then restore and still get the same error - incorrect pool file content da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709

Interestingly we can take a systems b/u dated April 13th on our 2.0.2 test server and it restores ok on our production server, and yet one on the 15th gives us the error.  Nothing has changed on our test server, no updates, etc.  Sometimes part of the course gets restored but never complete.  A mystery...

In reply to Doug Baleshta

by Doug Baleshta -

We found the problem was related to the Respondus plugin/add on.  By removing the addon the problem went away and we tested this several times.  The Respondus plugin was added on April 14th so I'm not sure if it's been updated since then.  Hopefully this will save others some grief!

Doug