Offering paid enhancements to Modules

Offering paid enhancements to Modules

by Ted Bowman -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,
I have general question contributed modules forum. I developed the map module and moderate the Map Module forum. I often will have users ask in the forum if the module can do this or that feature. I generally try to keep a list of features that people of asked for. I try to add new features when I have time.

I am a professional programmer so I have to take paid work first, which doesn't leave much time for working on this module. I was wondering if it is appropriate to respond on the forum that I could add the feature if they sponsored the development(i.e. paid for it).

Not sure if such a response like this would be appropriate in this setting. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Ted

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ted Bowman

Re: Offering paid enhancements to Modules

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ted,

Firstly, thanks a lot for your work in developing the Map module and moderating the Map module forum. approve

I think it's fine for you to reply to posts saying that a feature could be developed if someone was willing to sponsor it. According to our Policy on Advertising, mentioning commercial services in discussions is OK "if it's in the natural context of a discussion". I understand this to mean that replying to a discussion is fine, but starting a new discussion specifically to advertise your services is not. (Hopefully someone will correct me if I've misunderstood things. wink)
In reply to Ted Bowman

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just to confirm what Helen said. It is fine to get paid to write Moodle code. (Some of us are lucky enough to be paid to work on Moodle full time.)

The only requirement is that once you have written the code, you have to distribute it under the GPL (since it is a derivative work of Moodle), but it seems you already do that with the Map module, since it is contrib.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ted Bowman -
Tim & Helen,
thanks for the advice. Does anyone know a website that can be used for organizing the sponsorship of open source projects like this? I was thinking of a site where I could organize suggest enhancements and those who wanted it could pledge a certain amount of money.

My thought is that these enhancements might be worth a little to a lot of people but not a lot to one person/group.
In reply to Ted Bowman

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There was a promising one at micropledge.org but it closed down. sad