Deducting marks in multiple-choice questions

Deducting marks in multiple-choice questions

by Dan Cox -
Number of replies: 2

I am creating a quiz (consisting of multiple-choice question) in the style of UKMT Maths Challenges (in particular the Junior Maths Challenge). There are 25 questions, where the first 15 are worth 5 marks each and the last 10 are worth 6 marks each.

My problem is this - an incorrect answer to questions 16-20 loses 1 mark, and an incorrect answer to questions 21-25 loses 2 marks. So far I have been unable to set up these penalties. If this is possible can someone please tell me how?

[I do not wish to run the quiz in adaptive mode. I only want students to have one go at each question during their quiz attempt (multiple quiz attempts will be allowed).]

I hope that makes sense and I apologise if their is an existing thread with the same question...if there is I failed to find it!

Thank you for your time,

Dan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Cox

Re: Deducting marks in multiple-choice questions

by Jeff Forssell -
I don't know if that means that "Not answered = 0".

Otherwise you could set right = 6 wrong = 0 in 1-15 (and maybe have a "don't know" alternative added to the questions that would have 1 mark)

and right = 7 wrong = 0 in 16-20 (and maybe have a "don't know" alternative added to the questions that would have 1 mark)

and right = 8 wrong = 0 in 21-25 (and maybe have a "don't know" alternative added to the questions that would have 2 marks)

and then adjust the grading accordingly.

Moodle doesn't support negative marks on questions or tests (yet, maybe in 2.0) but does support negative on alternative answers in a multichoice question (but a below 0 result becomes 0 for the question)

In reply to Jeff Forssell

Re: Deducting marks in multiple-choice questions

by Dan Cox -

Thank you for your reply.

"I don't know if that means that "Not answered = 0"."

Any questions left blank get a score of zero.

Will try out your suggestion...